Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to solve something of a mystery on my car. The outer skin of the nose was replaced at an unknown time. The work was so-so. I can not figure out why the nose is significantly arched in the center. Thanks to John J who brought his largely original car by my garage this weekend, I noticed this discrepancy.

Did any other 105/115 have a more arched nose?
In past decades would there have been low quality aftermarket stampings on the market that may have gotten this profile wrong? What is the best way to correct this? Obviously a front clip would be ideal but they are hard to come by and people tend to want to sell the WHOLE front of the car, not just sheet metal. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is most confusing to me is if you look at the head of the arrow where I wrote "unusual arching" - there are two layers of sheet metal there. I really don't think that these two layers were separated when the new nose was welded on. I think they came as a clip or maybe low quality repro? This is what I can't figure out. How would such a thing have happened?

·
Registered
333 Posts
As Rus mentioned, I got to see his GTV project this weekend. His efforts are most impressive, especially since he works without any of the air tools I've come to rely on over the years. His inner fender fix is particularly well resolved. He's clearly a more patient fellow than I and looks to be following a similarly monastic path towards GTV sainthood as Rosano.

This nose panel looks to me like it is not OEM....it has dull edges, suggesting it wasn't made on the original tooling and just looks different to my/other cars' noses. It would be interesting to know when it was installed on this car and how it compares with what's available from the usual sources today. That said, I believe Rus could make it work just fine with some careful tweaking and massaging, along with (repeatedly) dry-fitting the grilles and headlight buckets. But he's a perfectionist (that's a compliment), so "good enough" may not be....good enough. John

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi, I am interested to read this thread. I am getting back into the restoration of my '72 GTV 2000 and have had a new nose panel delivered from Alfaholics. I have cut off the old one leaving a little more on for fine fitting but I am unsure how to make sure I get the new one in the right place. Any advice?

·
Administrator
12,591 Posts
Hi, I am interested to read this thread. I am getting back into the restoration of my '72 GTV 2000 and have had a new nose panel delivered from Alfaholics. I have cut off the old one leaving a little more on for fine fitting but I am unsure how to make sure I get the new one in the right place. Any advice?
Clamp new nose panel over top of the guards with that little bit extra you have left on. Fit bonnet to ensure gaps are correct and ensure nose panel correctly touches the bumper mounts. When happy with fit draw the cut lines on the front guards and cut and butt weld.
Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts