Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Ive been given a New old stock Mahle piston and liner set for a engine im doing, truth be told this is the 1st time ive ever replaced them as a set as ive always just had the liners honed and re-ringed the pistons.

my question is given these pistons already have the rings installed does that mean they are ready to go? im loath to remove rings if they dont need to be removed

thanks all

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
You will only need to remove one or two top rings to check end gap. As supplied, sets come with rings EITHER uninstalled or installed. USUALLY installed ring sets indicate gaps are set, but how would you really know without checking?
Easier to find out for sure BEFORE the whole engine is assembled!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will only need to remove one or two top rings to check end gap. As supplied, sets come with rings EITHER uninstalled or installed. USUALLY installed ring sets indicate gaps are set, but how would you really know without checking?
Easier to find out for sure BEFORE the whole engine is assembled!

yeah i figured that being installed MAHLE would have done it already, lack of documentation in this box is a PITA...however as you say if 1 ring is right the the others must be too......then again im not a "she'll be right" type of technician

·
Push hard and live
9,605 Posts
I spent many years selling imported auto parts back when "imported car" meant "sports car". I can't tell you how many times a customer's rebuild went badly, and when we asked if he checked all the dimensions we just got a blank stare or "you mean you can't just bolt all the parts together and it works??

I turned my interest to airplanes after a while. The legal term for an engine overhaul is "inspection". You must measure and document everything, or you lose your mechanic's certificate.

Measure every ring end gap, piston pin clearances, piston to cylinder clearances at all the called-out points, piston ring gap to ring clearances, etc. It's a LOT easier to fix it before it tears itself up.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Clean the liners with detergent and water then hit them with some WD40 can't emphasize enough that the liners need to be washed. I do mine in the dishwaher and only use wd40 on the rings, no oil. You can feel the difference with your finger tips on a before and after. The rings seated immediatly and engine has not burned a drop since the initial start up. a drop? well you know what I mean, no appreciable amount.
If the oil ring is a one piece ring I'd toss them and get a set of total seal or hastings, or deves, all have a three piece oil ring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts