Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
382 Posts
my gas tank cap is good, but i have no key. Is there a way to machine a new key for the existing cap?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Not sure if this can apply to the gas cap as well. But years ago I lost the ignition key to my Norton motorcycle. I called around to some locksmiths on my options. A guy in a van came by that afternoon with a device that had a large gauge on one end and some tiny fingers sticking out the other end. He stuck the fingers down inside the lock and twisted a couple of things. Then went inside his van for a minute and came out with a working key.

If you have a good lock wizard in your town, he may offer a similar option. Good luck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Sekal1978 The ebay ad shows "sold". Yikes, I should have asked for more $. As for the key, Have you taken it to a locksmith? I have seen a video showing the use of tool that looks like a fancy key that is inserted into the lock cylinder and then shows - duplicates the tumbler settings in a way that a locksmith can make a key.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
382 Posts
@andylarry no man. You sold it just right. Not too expensive, not too cheap. That one was for sale for at least a year and you sold it in a couple of days.
Thank you @planetmojo2 (by the way who's planet mojo 1, lol)and @andylarry. will look around for a good auto locksmith.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I saw those on eBay too. The official one with keys was around $175. And another that had no accommodation for a lock at all, was asking $200.

I was planetmojo1 as well... but at some point a snag in the system was not recognizing that. So I started over using planetmojo2 to get in. PlanetJanet just didn't have the right ring to it. :- )

As I remember, the gas cap keys had teeth cut on both sides (maybe symmetrically). So, not sure if that complicates reading the lock??

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Someone may want to devise a lanyard to keep these connected to the car when gassing up. Some of the rarity on these caps can be from resting it on the roof at a gas station and driving away without replacing the cap. I'm one of the guilty ones... but learned my lesson after the first experience.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
my gas tank cap is good, but i have no key. Is there a way to machine a new key for the existing cap?
If the cap is stuck in the open position and you can't get a new key, it is possible to sink a few screws in the center of the cap to lock the cylinder in place.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
its for sale for ages. 200 something $ right?
No. You guys don't see that it's exactly the same one as was advertised here? Check the handwriting, the box blemishes, the cut of the key...etc.

Sold for almost $300.

Anyway, somebody must have really wanted one with the box. There must be a joke hiding here about FIST ing and pricing.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Back when I got my GTV6 in 94 it didn't have a cap and Don Ereminus got me one back then. He told me (back then) that they were getting scarce. I am terrified to loose my gas cap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts