Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here´s my new winterproject. A ´72 Super that is going to be a racecar/trackdaytoy.

It´s going to look something like this:

Rollcage is fitted and welded in place:

Then the car was turned over and mounted in a rotissorie (barbaque rack) and sandblasted. Welded a few rustholes and primed it.

Painted the undercarriage parts:

And then sprayed bedliner for added durability:

And then spryed the underside with 2 pack paint and started assembly:

I guess that´s all for now...

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
wow, that looks amazing. Keep the pictures coming!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I vote for the white with red scheme, the one shown on the bottom!

Are you going to do any Panhard rod/Watts linkage/sliding block for the rear end? What motor will you be running?

Good luck- looks great so far!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice project.Keep the pictures coming.
P.S.If you like,some pictures from the rotisserie?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for comments...

I will keep the rear suspension original, no watts or panhard. I will keep it close to original so it can meet FIA appendix K regulations in European racingseries.

I think the original T-bar with the right spring/shock setup works well. I have tried watts on my other cars, but It´s not faster on our tracks (narrow slow ones)

The rotisserie is just som scrapmetal I had laying around the garage. Some rusted L profiles and a few pipes welded together. Nothing fancy, but it works.

Here´s a picture of it and the Supers friend; the Turbo GTAm...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car is now finished on the underside. New springs, Bilstein shocks and new brakelines has been made and fitted.

It´s now time to turn the car over and put her back on wheels again...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Beautiful project! Are those brake lines made from copper?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
racer

i won't be able to race that thing for fear that it might get damaged! it's looks like it's meant to be a show piece! my hats off to you!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Excellent ...Very nicely done....i would go with the first illustration...since you have the orange scheme underneath....thanks for sharing...gives me something to think about...Hmmmm...

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
this looks so clean, I am drooling all over my keyboard. You made one big mistake though, you're showing a GT in one of your pictures.....;) That looks really hot, and of course now we all want to see pictures of that too:D:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for positive comments.

The brakelines are copper.
And yes, I think the car is going to be white and orange, hence the colors used underneath.
And I like to build my cars nice and race them hard. If they get damaged, I just fix them. These lovely cars are worth it.

And here is a picture of my other racecar as requested:

Fibreglass all over... 11 by 13 inch wheels, and a forcefed 2 litre Nord... "Alfabrutale"

·
Administrator
14,620 Posts
For your information: Copper work hardens and is illegal for brake pipes in some countries (New Zealand for one).

Great work :).
Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.

It´s ofcourse not pure copper-pipes, but copper-nickel, specially made for break lines.
No bend hardening, cracking or corrosion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
to my knowledge brake pipes and (fuel pipes) most run inside the car if you want to get a race permit for the car.

rgds,
ZZ_jr

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Thanks.

It´s ofcourse not pure copper-pipes, but copper-nickel, specially made for break lines.
No bend hardening, cracking or corrosion.
yep,

copper//nickel, thats what i have on my gtv. its specifically made for the automotive industry. from what ive heard audi has been using it since the 90's

1 - 20 of 108 Posts