Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sweet board, Anthony just showed it to me. I want to build an engine for my 74 GTV. Basically, i want horse power. Im 18 years old and i want to be able to pull up next to any RICE ROCKET and kill them not only in corners, but also of the line. Im trying to decide if i should do a regular build up of if i should go out on a limb and put a turbo on it. Its mainly a street car but i track it when the oportunity comes up. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had the very same thought. I have alot of ricer friends with civics that are pretty quick but you see those crappy cars everyday and plus it's not Alfa Romeo. The civic only has 1.6 liters and your GTV has 2 liters. If you were both to build your engines you will have a advantage. If you want to add a turbo and take on "Faster imports" that would be excelent but you have to find someone to make a custom turbo kit for your car and that's always hard work.
Good Luck

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Welcome Levin.
Youth and the need for horsepower - what a natural thing. But the years have taught me that it's not really what ya drive but HOW ya drive it. Like the guy at Lime Rock with a then new R5 turbo turning 1:22s and me in a box stock 1750 GTV in the 1:14s. Or a 2002 blowin away an L88 Vette at Bridgehampton. Might I be so bold as to suggest you contact one of the local car clubs and sign up for a driving school. I was floored by what I didn't know. Learn what it takes to properly launch an Alfa. What the proper line is. When to take a late apex (and when not to).

That said, I think you've got em all beat before you get off the line; you've got an Alfa!! So your unique right off the bat. You've also got the advantage of a posi RWD for added traction during acceleration weight transfer while front drivers loose traction. You've got better brakes for the all important 'late brake pass'. And superior handling. All this in a car that's 20 years older than theirs. And it's STOCK!

Oh yeah. Horsepower. Hi comp pistons, cams, big valves, port n polish, port match, balance, exhaust mods, ignition mods, indexed plugs, Webers or modified Spica. Then a 5.12 rear, close ratio box, A032R on 14X7s, adjustable arms for negative camber, springs, bars, shocks, urethane bushings.....

Give em hell, Levin!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
John, that is a most excellent link. I already e-mailed Jim for cost and availability. I can't wait to have 250 - 350 horses under the hood of my GTV! Rice rockets watch out!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
the hater has arrived

I'm with pappa jam. Running off the line can be fun, but when a car rev's you up and you laugh/blow them off, it's actually a bigger ego booster (for me at least). If you have a fast car it's easy to push the gas peddle and go. GTV's (old ones) are not fast off the line. They were not built to be. My 2liter is so fast I think, I can honestly say I can blow or keep up with any car on some twisties.

I agree with engine mod's (cam's, pistons vavles), but has far as adding forced induction, please don't do it. It hurt's me to see different motor's in Alfa's and the turbo sure does look cool (it does on any car). It's just not for a GTV.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Up here where the air is thin, the argument for forced induction is more compelling.

Normally aspirated cars lose between 15 and 25 PERCENT of their output, while turbocharged cars typically only lose about 5%.

Plus, the typical horsepower solutions for an Alfa can kill you up here. For example, a head ported at sea level may actually produce less power and a lot less torque than a stock head. Hmm...

That being said, I still haven't seen an elegant forced induction solution I'd want to put in my Alfas.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'll bet there's a way to stuff a Chevy 350 under the hood of a GTV. If they can make room in a 914, it could be done with a GTA-like Alfa. That engine's in more makes than any other.

Levin, go with the suggestions of Jim & Sniady. Once she's ready, stomp on the gas and tear into a turn. You won't regret it!

Speed is not the number one priority when I drive an Alfa. It's more about the sound of the engine. It's more about the soul of the car. It's more about the pure enjoyment of ripping around turns with a big-*** grin on my face!

Just went for a two hour tour. Took in more of the twists and turns around town. Had fun in newly opened sections of the LBGP track. My 1600 has got great mid-range pull. I LOVE this GTV!

·
Registered
136 Posts
You guys are right, Alfa is a car that is a pleasure to drive. I would like to make it fast but I would also want to keep it original. A rotary or V8 is out of the questions. A twin spark or turbo Alfa engine is okay. Although modified, it is still an alfa at heart!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Steck's home page

Here is Jim Steck's shop page:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/4SFED/

And here is a pic of his work:

Personally I am N/A with a high compression build. Probably turning somewhere around 180 at the crank. I would have considered Jim's work if my rebuild was not already done. Essentially, I would either have to swap out the pistons in my current motor or build another alfa 2.0L motor from scratch to accomodate the turbo. Jim told me that other limiting factors in the car (rear end, drive shaft, tranny) can limit you from producing much over 225 just due to their failure with the added power. Jim is also knowledgeable about head options on the 2.0L block. Rumor had it down my way through an envious competitor that he had a 16 valve alfa head modified for the 2.0L 115 block, but Jim denies it. In any case, a wealth of info in turbocharging or supercharging your Alfa 2.0L 115 series motor.

John M

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Completely agree. It's the sound and the soul of the Alfa engine that I love.

I "had" a plan of stuffing a S2000 engine into the GTV (which is simpler that you think except the wiring part) but, what is an Alfa without an Alfa engine.

If I want more power, Twin Spark/Turbo is my way too. :D

67GTV said:
Speed is not the number one priority when I drive an Alfa. It's more about the sound of the engine. It's more about the soul of the car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I had a stock GTV and wanted power, the way to go would be to stuff a Ford 289 into that thing. Could you imagine about 450 hp in a car weighing 2200 lbs. I know it wouldn't sound like an Alfa, but it would be FAST.

Richard

1 - 20 of 30 Posts