Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to but a Normale air filter canister for my 750. However, the original color of it is not black. :confused:

I was told that some of them came with a silver/bronze hammerite paint type finish.

Can anyone out there confirm this?

Even better, can someone point out a correct paint to refinish it? (I think it would be cool to refinish it in the original color)

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hello;

Another colour...

But: Original colour?

It´s one 750B

Attachments

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Giulietta normale air filter canister

Jon,

I´m not 100 % sure, but I think these canisters were originally painted in black. Aren´t there some small traces of a black color on the canister that can be seen in your pic or is it just dirt?

Marco,

The same applies for your canister, you could just scrape of a little of the surface paint layer and see what is under it.

BTW, is the green rusty Giulietta shown in the pictures yours? And does it come from Holland? I think I have seen this car advertised on some Dutch webside about 10 months ago.

Dennis
´62 1600 Giulia Spider
´62 1600 Giulia Sprint

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
A lot of these kinds of steel items were chromed in the 60s and 70s by owners, so it makes sense to me that someone might have painted it silver as a poor-man's chrome. I had a transition Sprint some year ago on which virtually every steel piece in the engine cmpt was chromed (air cleaner, oil filler, head nuts, head lifting hook, etc.).

Andrew

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more info

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I was looking a little closer at the canister last night. I am 99.99% sure that the original color was silver. Looking inside the canister, I can see what looks like virgin paint--silver.

I am going to be working at taking the strap off tonight. From what I can see, it looks like original silver paint underneath the strap.

Strangely enough, I see blue paint on the strap. From what I know, the color would be very similar to what has been termed as "medium blue" for exterior giulietta color.

I will try to take some additional pictures tonight.

Jon

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Jon
Many years ago, one of my Sprints had a silver air cleaner. I can't say if it was factory but it's likely it was. Any Spiders I've owned or seen have a black filter canister.
Hammerite finish ... possibly but I can't confirm it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pic of lid

Here is a picture of the lid.

It clearly has black paint as the original color. Perhaps, the orginal lid is AWAL and this comes from another canister. I dunno.

I was also curious about the badge. Any way to get a reproduction? Another person suggested Black Bart's Enterprises, or a name similar to that.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've seen a couple silver air boxes; but, most are black. It was a satin black not gloss.

As for the badge (label) I'd carefully drill out the rivets, clean it up and reinstall.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
"Any way to get a reproduction?"

As George posted, you could re-use the original.

OR

(An un-abashed plug for Bill Gillham's label sets) You can then dress up all the labels under the hood!

You could see if Bill makes a curved version - pictured is a 750 Veloce Spider type; aluminum-like film; self adhesive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,397 Posts
You might want to check with my friend Parker Hall @ Kilimanjaro Designs, Ltd. 601-638-7856. Parker has a vast collection of photographs of OEM Ferrari stuff (and Alfa stuff!). He remanufactures all these Fispa aluminum badges and a whole lot of other neat items. His stuff is not inexpensive, but quality is wonderful, AND he is a true gentleman to deal with. He may know about the hammer tone silver finish, that I too, believe I saw many years ago. He may have a photograph as well.
Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I have sent off emails to Bill Gillman and Parker Hall. Hopefully, I can get some more information from them.

No doubt about it, my canister was orignally silver. I took the strap off last night, and I am not too sure about it being "medium blue." it was silver on the inside, but only certain areas on the outside showed the blue paint. Even so, the blue paint did not look like a hack job.

Here is a picture of the inside of the canister. This is obviously silver and obviously original.

Don't know why the flash didn't fire, but you can see well enough...

Jon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Air Filter

The filter I have measures 4 inches in length and 5 7/16 wide to the outside, and the inside hole is 3 1/4 inside dia.

Please let me know if you can use it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jon:

Don't know if it will help, but, my Giulietta (1958) and Giulia (1965) spyder normals both had black canisters. Both cars I knew from new and they were never repainted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have also silver air canister in '57 750D. And it has only silver paint, not black anywhere.

www.restoredsportscars.com

Second and fourth pictures show condition when I bought the car and second last one where we are now.

In same home pages there is also couple more pictures of my ongoing project.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for this!

I have also silver air canister in '57 750D. And it has only silver paint, not black anywhere.

www.restoredsportscars.com

Second and fourth pictures show condition when I bought the car and second last one where we are now.

In same home pages there is also couple more pictures of my ongoing project.
Perfect! Now I know exactly how to make mine look. I knew that someone would come through....

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Air canister colors

Normally, all canisters came in black finish. I have seen, and owned some canisters in the Silver green like colors. Most notably on the veloce series cars than on the normale, albeit, you will find that many here will put their heads on the chopping block and swear that they only came in black; they could stand to loose their heads by making such statements. I doubt that there are many people alive that could tell you the truth regarding the real color of the canisters. If the car is a Sprint, you bet, is highly possible. There were several entities contracted to fill orders on the demand for the popular Sprint and that is one of the reason that you will find Sprints of the same period with different harnesses, and trimming option. Aside to the fact that there were bottles of Chianti (The nectar of the Gods) always near by.:D Truthfully, I doubt if it would make a difference if the canister was silver green or black. It only matters to you.

Lionel

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Ah, ha !!

Really enjoying the 750 series discussions, my first Alfa was a '57 Sprint Veloce ( chassis # 1493-06546 if anyone knows of it! ), and I recognize a part that has been in my tool box for so long I didn't know what it was for.

Thanks for the I.D. !!:p

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update

A bit of an update on this.

I took my canister to see the Alfa Jedi Master. (Thanks, Randy, if you are reading this)

I used his bead blaster to strip it down to bare metal. So, for those out there who think that 120% of all air filter canisters were painted black, I can see with maximum assurity that this one was silver. I saw every particle of paint come off this at a very close range. It was silver from new. No doubt at all--no matter what anybody says. :D

And, thanks again to those who posted pictures of silver canisters--that was how I knew to make everything silver. I am actually a little proud to have one of the few that were silver.

I debated on keeping it unrestored. Keeping the "History and Patina" intact. Better sense prevailed when I relized that would be a little too much history and patina going down the carb to be healthy for my engine.

I digress again.

With the canister stripped, the Jedi Master shot a heavy coat of epoxy primer on it. The next day, I sanded and sanded to get the surface even due to some surface pitting here and there.

Finally, we sprayed on some Hammerite knock-off paint by Rustoleum. That stuff is tough! From the Jedi Master's memory, he thought that the original paint was Hammerite. From what I saw looking over the few portions of clean, original paint, I agree that there was some texture to the original paint. However, the Hammerite is a little to heavy of a texture to match the original exactly. I understand that Hammerite sells a version of their paint in a can that has a very light texture. If I were to do this again, I would figure out how to get some of that.

I was able to get a reproduction badge from Kilimanjaro Designs for $25. It looks great. I got a set of letter stamps at Harbor Freight for $4 that matched the original lettering pretty well. Unfortunately, even though I slaved and worried over the stamping, I don't think that I did a very good job of it. I even practiced on a scrap piece of aluminum.

Word to the wise. Not all aluminum is the same hardness. Also, 1's and I's dig deeper with the same force. I think that I get the "Duh" award for not realizing that from the get-go.

Here is a picture of the old and new badge. Old badge will be kept with the car for its history and patina value.

More picts coming.

Jon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts