Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last five years, I've read numerous threads about the various Nord engines (1300, 1600, 1750 & 2L). While I'm not interested in creating a rehash of all that info, I was wondering about the particular appeal of one C.C. size engine over another, (aside from the obvious differences in displacement) and what makes one more appealing than another, OEM issues notwithstanding.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
It depends on what you have driven, lived-with, and is totally a personal preference. I just happen to like the mouse engines, 1300 1600 and 1750's. Others strongly prefer 2l. I've successfully raced 1300 101's, and less so 1600 101's. I've a strong like for the 1750's with Webers. Overall, I've owned more 1600's and prefer those over all. HOWEVER, this is just from my own experiences. Others will prefer others for, again, personal preference. All are very user friendly.

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
I'm an originalist but not quite a purist. I don't believe every car needs to become a 2000cc hotrod. Giuliettas have a different character, perhaps frustratingly, when they have their original displacement compared to upping it some. My general view is, you want a lot more power, get a different car. But that's me.

It's easy to go to 1400 or 1500 kit on a Giulietta; 1700 kit on a 1600. Or drop a 1750 into any car that has a mechanical clutch; the 8-bolt flywheel for a mechanical clutch will bolt onto the 1750 crank. Essentially it's all up to you, but I like each car to have its own character, not all to have the same character. I've had a 1750 in my Super for 20 years, very happy. My new Jr Z has a 2000 which i actively dislike, but I probably will leave it and detune.

You can also get great differences in power out of the same engine. I went for better intake cams in my Super (1750) and GTV (1600) and the wake-up was remarkable with no other work.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Andrew,

A couple of years ago, I kicked around the idea of having Richard J do some head work on my 1600 Abnormale and add a couple of his cams. It would have cost about $2K, and while it sounded like a good idea, other needs arose and I opted out.

Currently, I have a pair of 105480320001, mid-range cams that may, or may not have been installed by Mike Besic, who refreshed the engine before I bought the car. I will be installing the dual Spanish Weber DOCE 40s when the engine goes into the Spider and wondered what other cams might offer a healther output w/o requiring any head work to make them fit.

I've owned my '64 Giulia Spider for right at 5 years and never driven it once, so I don't really know what a 1600 or 1750 would be like; just wondering.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
10548 cams are better than stock US, they wake up the engine all through the range. But they aren't a performance cam really. If you drove it with the US cams and then the 10548 you'd notice the difference, for sure. But it's not a big improvement in numbers. In my view, low end torque is the goal on the street, not high end hp.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Interesting thread. I’m musing a twinspark rebuild right now, having had the crank tested and ground for the 105 spigot bush.

Andrew, what don’t you like about the 2L?

I hear you with regards torque. I loved my diesel 156 and the turbo 1750 in my current Giulietta QV is amazing (all new cars obs., not comparable)

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew, et al...

If gprocket were building my Stepnose dream car, I would opt for the 180-200 HP TS motor, but I am inclined to agree with your assessment of what my Giulia Spider really needs for these Tulsa streets and roads; nice healthy torque v top-end hp.

In light of the fact that I'm really only after a peppy cruiser, what cams (requiring NO head work) might be a reasonable upgrade?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
I went with Centerline 10.5 lift on the intake side of the 1750 in my carbed Berlina. I thought that was the tallest I could go without relieving lifter bores or lobe edges, but i think you can go one bigger. I have Alquati A32 intake cams on my Super's 1750 and GTV's 1600, it's just about 11 lift, and was a phenomenal upgrade. Jon Norman has a Pittetore repro, made by MegaCycle, that's in this same range and is a very good cam. No mods needed, but check your piston/valve clearance when timing it.

A friend just bought the blue 1750 GTV with TS from BringaTrailer. Can't wait to see/drive it.
Andrew

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I agree its not power you want, but it also is not just torque.

What I want out of a road car, is an engine that "wants" to go, i.e. is enthusiastic and is like a happy Labrador when asking it to rev, all tail wags and full of joy. Nothing worst than an engine that moves a car but does it in a utterly dull way ... drive a Peugeot to understand what I mean.

While I have only 1 drive-able Alfa at the moment, with the 156v6, it fulfills this "wants" to go perfectly as while it is perfectly happy to be dull and just move the car around, in any second it is more than happy to be enthusiastic and put a smile on my face. I'm sure the 1750GTV will do the same when finished.
Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts