Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to the forums and had some very general questions. Is there a handy web resource to tell me the differences in gear model GTV's?

Is there any compelling reason to want a 1750 more or less than a 2L?

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not sure of specific websites (except this one!). As far as motors go, both have their fans. The 1750 is considered more free revving. It is also more rare (rarer?) which appeals to some. OTAH, up to '74, the 2L was torquier (? again) and since it lasted for 20 years, there are lots more high performance upgrades available. Starting in 1975, the 2L's were choked of performance until the introduction of EFI.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
This site is probably the best place to read up on the various models. The 1750 is favoured by some because the dash, grill and lights styling is a bit nicer than the 2lt, and as mentioned above it's considered a bit more free revving, but the 2lt has more torque.

If you know nothing about 105s, there are some good books around that give a rundown on the different versions. The buyers guide by Keith Booker is not a bad read for a novice, and includes plenty of tips on what to look out for when buying a 105. You'll find it on ebay pretty cheap, or on most motoring book websites.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1750 is much cooler than the 2000. Dont let Damo tell you any different...;)
:D And it's fine logically constructed points like this that will make my decision easier!

Any general comment on original vs something like one of the bobcor cars? I have had a lot of hot rods in my life, so I am not against that type of thing, but there are some modifications that do not tend to hurt value and some that do. I can bore you to tears about that on 911's, but don't know much about these cars.

Oh, and can a 6'2" human drive an Alfa in some comfort?

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Cheers
Dave
That seems to be a question that quite a few 'newbies' ask here. I dont know really, but I can see why not. A friend of mine who's taller than that just bought an Alfetta GTV and he's got no problems.

As far as this Bobcor thing goes, you're going to have to ask another Statesider because i'm in Australia and I dont really know what the deal is with his cars APART from the fact that he gets LOTS of bad press on this BB! I dont think there's anything wrong with modifying Alfas subtely to make them easier to live with in the modern world though.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Cheers
Dave
I am 6'2'' and have no comfort issues driving my 1750 GTV except for a bit of knee pain after a long drive, which I suspect is due to the more offset pedals on RHD versions. I believe that pedal offset is less of an issue on LHD cars. The fact that they are standing pedals on RHD cars probably doesn't help.

Ollie

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I dont think you need to be 6'2" to get knee pain driving an RHD 105 for a long time! I tend to feel as though my heel has bonded with the floor beneath the accelerator on long hauls. Its enough to make me forget about my knee...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts