Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Non sealed beam headlights for Giulia Super

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Vivace 
#1 ·
I was replacing the rubber seals on my 73 super outer headlight buckets and took out the lens/globe. I noticed mine is getting quite rusty. The larger outer lenses are Corello and have separate bulbs - 1 H1 and a H4.

Looking at all the regular sources for replacements, I found nothing (other then for Nuova)
Anyone know where to get them?

Thanks

Handwriting Wood Recipe Font Ingredient

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Fred hows it going besides this problem??

Not this as a substitute repro.

K

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Font Gas Automotive fog light

#3 ·
Hey Thanks. Don't know how I missed it on the Classic website.
A repo is fine! My 73 super is just a driver anyway.
Last month I drove back down from Connecticut to Key Largo - Perfect drive again. Replacement rear end is great and gives me more speed at lower RPM.

Here we (Nico the dog too) are waiting for the Cape May Ferry
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

#5 ·
Last month I drove back down from Connecticut to Key Largo - Perfect drive again. Replacement rear end is great and gives me more speed at lower RPM.

Here we (Nico the dog too) are waiting for the Cape May Ferry
View attachment 1712176
I love that car. I love that you take it on trips.

Isn't the H4 a hi-low filament lamp? Yours has two separate bulbs in the outer light? Like the old Marchal Amplilux?
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Natural material Gas Headlamp

#4 ·
Looking at what Classic is selling... I don't think its right. My outer headlight uses a H4 and a H1 bulb. The one classic is selling has only the H4 fitting. :(

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, the H4 bulb is a high/low bulb and the is an additional H1 bulb in that outer headlight too. The smaller inner high beam is also a H1. When driving on a dark road it seems like daylight with the high-beams on! :p

As for Marchal Amplilux; interesting. I've never seen them.

Here are photos of mine:
Bottle Drinkware Product Automotive tire Automotive lighting

and inside:
Water Fluid Hood Automotive exterior Electric blue

Enjoying the lack of snow!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

#8 ·
Yes, the H4 bulb is a high/low bulb and the is an additional H1 bulb in that outer headlight too. The smaller inner high beam is also a H1. When driving on a dark road it seems like daylight with the high-beams on! :p

As for Marchal Amplilux; interesting. I've never seen them.

Here are photos of mine:
inside:
View attachment 1712187
That's really interesting, they're almost side by side.

The Amplilux is hard to find and highly sought after by vintage Ferrari and 911 guys. But I think they work in a similar way with two separate reflectors.

#7 ·
The Carello number on the glass is 03.490.700 and on the back I think its 03.493.800

I am confused!

#11 ·
Fred google those 2 part numbers. The first one yields lots. Second one , not so much.
I never heard or dual bulb units.

Good luck

Ken

#12 ·
Yes, I did search for both numbers. The only correct one seems to be
carello 03.493.800
Here is what I found on an Italian auction site from 2010
Looks like what I need, but where to get them?

So, the question is... these are not the factory headlights for my 1973 super?

Amber Automotive tire Rim Wood Automotive wheel system

#13 · (Edited)
So, the question is... these are not the factory headlights for my 1973 super?
I don't think so. My '73 1.3 doesn't have that (just one h4). .... these cars are pushing 50 years old with how many years of tinkering. The H1 in the outer light comes on with the high
beams?

Searching that part number, gets a few european Ebay hits. They are called Carello "Bilux". Two links to them being for a Ferrari Dino?

Regardless, those are very cool though.

#14 ·
Fred, I have to agree with the last poster. My '72 1.3 (basically the same as yours) had the original incandescent bulbs .. (check your owner's manual)... the switch operates the parking lights on the first twist of the stalk.. then outside low beams on the second twist then all four on the high beams when lever is dropped. The bulbs take a dual filament H-4 to upgrade with the inner lights only connected to high beam. I believe your style was retro fitted.. The lens on mine is a script Carello 07.480.700 and the car was imported 30 years ago. This is why you might not be able to talk turkey and make sense with suppliers. Cool lights but not stock. What ever makes you happy counts more than stock.

#15 ·
All 4 H1 bulbs come on when the stalk is dropped in addition to the 2 H4 bulbs (low beam only)
Ah, and all these years I thought we all had incredible high beams!
So, an upgrade from a previous owner it seems.
Apparently they simply took the high beam connection off the H4 and connected it to the H1 just below it.
I'm not at all worried about stock on my 73 (my '66 yes) and the incredible visibility at night is a real bonus.
I'd recommend this as an upgrade to others... but the dual bulb headlights seem to be unobtainable. :(

I thought the wire diagram had an error on it not showing two outer bulbs...
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

#16 ·
More digging.... I found pages from the Corello catalogue that lists the Corello part numbers for the various lights,

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Diagram

Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Screenshot

#19 · (Edited)
Hi Fred,

I guess your light units have Carello # 03.490.700 on the glass and Carello # 03.493.800 on the back of the reflector.
A Carello light unit, having different numbers on the glass versus on the reflector, is very normal. It's all about the assembling in the factory. One type of glass was used on more types of reflectors / fixation method, so the glass could serve more than one car brand. ( read also below)
These lights, having a second reflector inside, were, and are now certainly, quite expensive light units.
The Carello light units with the 03.490.700 glass were used on many cars, amongst others on Ferrari like mentioned by someone else here before. They all did have the double reflector system.

You can find relatively easy some of the units with the Carello # 03.490.700 on the glass on Ebay in Europe, but finding them with also the correct Alfa fixation hooks at the rear like you showed in post # 12, isn't that easy. The only correct ones for your car have Carello # 03.493.800 on the back ( reflector side), just like the one you showed here yourself. Focuse on that number !

Be sure to check before, that the light units that you want to buy have the same fixation hooks as yours. ... if they don't ... better don't buy !
As said before, there are multiple of these light units having the Carello 03.490.700 number on the glass, they all have the double reflector system, ... but unfortunately the fixation hooks at the rear differ !

According to originality, I can't remember of having seen this type of double reflector light units in the Alfa catalogs ( ... neither the Carello unit, nor the Marchal equivalent) but they do are listed in the 1971 Carello catalog for the Alfa 105 cars indeed. They were an Iodine bulb upgrade for the standard Carello 07.480.700.
Btw, both Carello and Marchal strongly advised their clients to use relais for this type of light units. Do you have relais for that purpose on your car ?

If you can't find that # 03.493.800 , I can have a look whether I still have a 'pretty good' set of them. Only if you want of course.

Rgds,

Thierry

#21 ·
Interesting . . . Fred, your owner's manual wiring diagram suggests that the car originally had incandescent bulbs, as did my '71. So at the time yours may have been an upgrade to halogens as much as it was for the dual-bulb setup, especially since the H4 high beam isn't used. These days one can get halogen bulbs with the old-style incandescent bases, which is what I'm currently running. Yes, with halogens and relays the high beams are quite good, even for old eyes.

#22 ·
So Fred how are the reflectors. I might deal with that lamp back some how like gentle blasting, then rust conversion coating, maybe a filler if they show and then a good paint and hunt for a replacement at your leisure.

I bought some repros of the single bulb type for my 69 Super and painted the backs before installation, knowing this it a common mode of failure.

Ken

#23 ·
Here is Carello’s version of Marchal’s Amplilux offering. Use 2 H1 bulbs per lamp, low beam is shielded, high beam is the lower reflector. This version has the mounting system found on most US cars, as opposed to the hook style mounts found on many Euro Alfa’s.
Crankset Automotive tire Rim Ingredient Circle
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Home appliance Grille Headlamp

#25 ·
Can clean up and paint back of your old ones until you find new.

#28 ·
Thierry, Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It was very interesting.
As for the relais/relays - Yes I have them now. The previous owner did not have them and when the high beams were on I could feel the fuse box (just above my left leg) get pretty warm. So, 2 years ago I installed 3 relays (two for the H1 bulbs / one for the H4)

So, now that I've discovered that these units are non standard and expensive I will take some good advice - just paint the backsides to avoid more rust. I really like the color of the backside of the Carellos (yes, I know you can't see it when mounted) so I may look around for something similar or just high temp black...

#29 ·
I* logged on to suggest that your just repaint the backs of your headlight only to find you'd decided to do just that. hese dual filament lights are seriously cool and, as you say, expensive. With your relays installed you are indeed getting some serious nighttime road coverage. Fortunately, it looks like your reflectors and lenses are in good shape.

I have a pair of Marchal Amplilux dual filament lights that I've had for a very long time. they came with instructions tor wiring them so both filaments come on when you select high-beam. They are SAE style with the square nubs while my Super, like your car, presumably, uses buckets designed for European style slotted fin light mounts. Happily, I found a bucket filled with SAE Alfa 7in headlight buckets in Bob's parts stash. Once I change buckets I'll be able to install these cool Marchal headlights.

#31 ·
Happily, I found a bucket filled with SAE Alfa 7in headlight buckets in Bob's parts stash. Once I change buckets I'll be able to install these cool Marchal headlights.
Jim, we "old guys" need all the extra night time brightness we can get! Do you have relays in your super?

Reactions: Vivace
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.