Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Interesting . . . Fred, your owner's manual wiring diagram suggests that the car originally had incandescent bulbs, as did my '71. So at the time yours may have been an upgrade to halogens as much as it was for the dual-bulb setup, especially since the H4 high beam isn't used. These days one can get halogen bulbs with the old-style incandescent bases, which is what I'm currently running. Yes, with halogens and relays the high beams are quite good, even for old eyes.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
So Fred how are the reflectors. I might deal with that lamp back some how like gentle blasting, then rust conversion coating, maybe a filler if they show and then a good paint and hunt for a replacement at your leisure.

I bought some repros of the single bulb type for my 69 Super and painted the backs before installation, knowing this it a common mode of failure.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
Here is Carello’s version of Marchal’s Amplilux offering. Use 2 H1 bulbs per lamp, low beam is shielded, high beam is the lower reflector. This version has the mounting system found on most US cars, as opposed to the hook style mounts found on many Euro Alfa’s.
Crankset Automotive tire Rim Ingredient Circle
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Home appliance Grille Headlamp

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Can clean up and paint back of your old ones until you find new.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Attention also to light switches. You cannot use those of asymmetrical lamps with halogen ones and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thierry, Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It was very interesting.
As for the relais/relays - Yes I have them now. The previous owner did not have them and when the high beams were on I could feel the fuse box (just above my left leg) get pretty warm. So, 2 years ago I installed 3 relays (two for the H1 bulbs / one for the H4)

So, now that I've discovered that these units are non standard and expensive I will take some good advice - just paint the backsides to avoid more rust. I really like the color of the backside of the Carellos (yes, I know you can't see it when mounted) so I may look around for something similar or just high temp black...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I* logged on to suggest that your just repaint the backs of your headlight only to find you'd decided to do just that. hese dual filament lights are seriously cool and, as you say, expensive. With your relays installed you are indeed getting some serious nighttime road coverage. Fortunately, it looks like your reflectors and lenses are in good shape.

I have a pair of Marchal Amplilux dual filament lights that I've had for a very long time. they came with instructions tor wiring them so both filaments come on when you select high-beam. They are SAE style with the square nubs while my Super, like your car, presumably, uses buckets designed for European style slotted fin light mounts. Happily, I found a bucket filled with SAE Alfa 7in headlight buckets in Bob's parts stash. Once I change buckets I'll be able to install these cool Marchal headlights.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Happily, I found a bucket filled with SAE Alfa 7in headlight buckets in Bob's parts stash. Once I change buckets I'll be able to install these cool Marchal headlights.
Jim, we "old guys" need all the extra night time brightness we can get! Do you have relays in your super?

Reactions: Vivace

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Jim, we "old guys" need all the extra night time brightness we can get! Do you have relays in your super?
Interestingly, I also found in Bob's decades old parts stash a Cibie dual dual filiamaate pair of lights. As I recall I'd bought these, ran them for awhile, but then removed them for the cooler Marchals. I think they're still---somewhere---in Bob's decades old parts stach. One of the best things about being friends with Bob is being able to prowel through his incredible stash of old Alfa parts.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hi all,

Here some pictures of the Carello and the Marchal side by side.
The lenses of these Carello light units are deeper and more convex.
The Marchal Amplilux units have the 3 bridges at the rear and need a ring for mounting on the bucket, the same way Fran's Carellos in post # 23 do.
I can't remember ever having seen this type of Marchal Amplilux light units with the same mounts at the back as do show the Alfa 105 series Carellos from post # 12 .

Any other thoughts ?

Rgds,

Thierry

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Shoe Hood Automotive lighting Jaw Comfort

Automotive lighting Tableware Button Circle Auto part

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Wow, cool to see them together.

This conversation about mounting is also interesting and reminds me I put new Euro Hellas in a '73 Ford Capri (4 lights, H4/H1) in high school. They blew the headlight fuse every time I turned them on. I finally took them out again and electrical taped the mounts where they touched the body, and that solved it. I didn't understand at the time why they'd sell headlights like that.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts