Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the rubber seals on my 73 super outer headlight buckets and took out the lens/globe. I noticed mine is getting quite rusty. The larger outer lenses are Corello and have separate bulbs - 1 H1 and a H4.

Looking at all the regular sources for replacements, I found nothing (other then for Nuova)
Anyone know where to get them?

Thanks

Handwriting Wood Recipe Font Ingredient

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Thanks. Don't know how I missed it on the Classic website.
A repo is fine! My 73 super is just a driver anyway.
Last month I drove back down from Connecticut to Key Largo - Perfect drive again. Replacement rear end is great and gives me more speed at lower RPM.

Here we (Nico the dog too) are waiting for the Cape May Ferry
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at what Classic is selling... I don't think its right. My outer headlight uses a H4 and a H1 bulb. The one classic is selling has only the H4 fitting. :(

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, the H4 bulb is a high/low bulb and the is an additional H1 bulb in that outer headlight too. The smaller inner high beam is also a H1. When driving on a dark road it seems like daylight with the high-beams on! :p

As for Marchal Amplilux; interesting. I've never seen them.

Here are photos of mine:
Bottle Drinkware Product Automotive tire Automotive lighting

and inside:
Water Fluid Hood Automotive exterior Electric blue

Enjoying the lack of snow!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Carello number on the glass is 03.490.700 and on the back I think its 03.493.800

I am confused!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I did search for both numbers. The only correct one seems to be
carello 03.493.800
Here is what I found on an Italian auction site from 2010
Looks like what I need, but where to get them?

So, the question is... these are not the factory headlights for my 1973 super?

Amber Automotive tire Rim Wood Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All 4 H1 bulbs come on when the stalk is dropped in addition to the 2 H4 bulbs (low beam only)
Ah, and all these years I thought we all had incredible high beams!
So, an upgrade from a previous owner it seems.
Apparently they simply took the high beam connection off the H4 and connected it to the H1 just below it.
I'm not at all worried about stock on my 73 (my '66 yes) and the incredible visibility at night is a real bonus.
I'd recommend this as an upgrade to others... but the dual bulb headlights seem to be unobtainable. :(

I thought the wire diagram had an error on it not showing two outer bulbs...
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More digging.... I found pages from the Corello catalogue that lists the Corello part numbers for the various lights,

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Diagram

Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Screenshot

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the manual is much more detailed.
Font Engineering Machine Parallel Technical drawing

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thierry, Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It was very interesting.
As for the relais/relays - Yes I have them now. The previous owner did not have them and when the high beams were on I could feel the fuse box (just above my left leg) get pretty warm. So, 2 years ago I installed 3 relays (two for the H1 bulbs / one for the H4)

So, now that I've discovered that these units are non standard and expensive I will take some good advice - just paint the backsides to avoid more rust. I really like the color of the backside of the Carellos (yes, I know you can't see it when mounted) so I may look around for something similar or just high temp black...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Happily, I found a bucket filled with SAE Alfa 7in headlight buckets in Bob's parts stash. Once I change buckets I'll be able to install these cool Marchal headlights.
Jim, we "old guys" need all the extra night time brightness we can get! Do you have relays in your super?

Reactions: Vivace
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.