Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recognize this on my 74 GTV with a carb conversion? Generally it appears connected correctly but it sure isn't the original metal one. Can I not get an OEM one to work with carbs? Thanks, Ken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,668 Posts
Looks like a Summit-type overflow bottle, used on racers to meet the requirement to accept a quart of spit-out water or oil to keep it off the track.

I have one or two OEM ones if you're interested.

Andrew

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Andrew I will contact you if I decide to go that route. I googled that image and found nothing so I assume it is nla. Did see many other types and the homebuilts on here. And after a closer look I don't think it is hooked up correctly. That small tube out the top is going to the dipstick but a bottom small tube goes to a valve and then nowhere. It probably needs to be drained and then routed to the dipstick. I'd like to replace it w/ something just because it is so huge. On my to do list. Ken

·
Registered
959 Posts
If I may ask please, how important is the separator? I have the original that was full of rust and I banged on until all the rust came out and I thought I would continue to use it w/Spica injection. It seems to me that it is just a collection point for vapor. Is it more of a emission control part than an important part of the fueling process? TIA, dlb

·
Premium Member
21,668 Posts
I'd say it's not that big a deal. When working right, it truly does separate vapor, which goes back into the intake, from condensed oil (I guess), which flows as a liquid back to the pan. Without it, you'll have slightly more oil-heavy vapor going through the intake. That's what all the pre-Spica cars had, just a vent hose into the air box, or in the case of Giuliettas and earlier, an overboard "road pipe."

Andrew

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd say it's not that big a deal. When working right, it truly does separate vapor, which goes back into the intake, from condensed oil (I guess), which flows as a liquid back to the pan. Without it, you'll have slightly more oil-heavy vapor going through the intake. That's what all the pre-Spica cars had, just a vent hose into the air box, or in the case of Giuliettas and earlier, an overboard "road pipe."

Andrew
I suppose over time that could gum up the intake

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
I suppose over time that could gum up the intake
No sign of that on my car with about 14 years and almost 100k miles on this setup. The filter element can get oily if the engine has a lot of blow-by.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts