Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the old front muffler off my GTV but now I am having serious difficulties getting the new Centerline muffler on. Even without the two down pipe copper gaskets gumming up the works, only the 1-4 down pipe will engage all three bolts. On the 2-3 down pipe, none of the bolts will slide into both holes no matter how I orient the muffler.

I was replacing the front muffler for an earlier Centerline item did not fit well at all. I had to remove the tranny support bracket for the support on the muffler did not align with the tranny bracket - it actually interfered with the fit. Now I am reduced to putting the old one back on.

Has anyone else had problems with these front mufflers ? Any suggestions as to where I can find one that fits as it should would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally got the old front muffler off my GTV but now I am having serious difficulties getting the new Centerline muffler on. Even without the two down pipe copper gaskets gumming up the works, only the 1-4 down pipe will engage all three bolts. On the 2-3 down pipe, none of the bolts will slide into both holes no matter how I orient the muffler.

I was replacing the front muffler for an earlier Centerline item did not fit well at all. I had to remove the tranny support bracket for the support on the muffler did not align with the tranny bracket - it actually interfered with the fit. Now I am reduced to putting the old one back on.

Has anyone else had problems with these front mufflers ? Any suggestions as to where I can find one that fits as it should would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

UpDate:

With a friend's help yesterday, I did get all three bolts engaged for 2-3 down pipe. One of us working thru the engine compartment and one on the floor wiggling the muffle to and fro got things to line up finally. So all six bolts are holding the down pipe and muffler with the gaskets inbetween.

The next step will be to reattach the tranny support bracket and see if it will align correctly with the muffler's bracket. I hope that I will not have to cut off the muffler bracket and weld it back on for a better fit.

Bruce

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I quit buying from them as most do not fit or have other quality issues....
John Norman Alfa Parts is a much better source.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 2:

Yesterday I worked on getting the tranny sub-bracket attached to the muffler before tightening the down pipe bolts (just in case nothing lined up). At first, only one hole would line up so I put in a bolt to hold it in place whilst I tightened the down pipe bolts. I continued to check that single bolt and found that as the muffler shifted position with the tightening of the bolts, the singe bolt at the tranny became trapped in the hole. I removed that single bolt and finished tightening the down pipe bolts.

I found that the muffler rotated slighted and its support bracket pointed up more toward the car rather than parallel to the ground. The sub-bracket on the tranny has some freedom to accommodate this movement but not enough. But my sub-bracket has always had a dog-leg bend so it pointed more towards the ground (looks like a PO used a cold chisel to make the bend). A few sessions in the bench vise straightened it out so that two holes lined up pretty well - just a bit of tension on the two rubber discs on the tranny bracket.

So it looks like this one fits so much better than the previous one. Progress, indeed ! Now on to attaching the center muffler and adjusting all the hangers.

On reflection on the fitment at the down pipes, I fully expected the muffler not to fit so I did not put the tranny support bracket back on. I think that had I done so, I would have been able to use that tranny support to hold the muffler in place while I fiddled with the down pipe fit. Things would have lined up so much easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update 3 (3/3):

I had a few spare minutes today so I thought I'd see about loosely installing the center muffler since getting the front muffler to finally fit. I find my trouble light and got under the car ..... only to find that the tail end of the front muffler pipe is hard up against the left rear floor pan (and not near the center tunnel). I could move it about 1 mm toward the center of the car but no more. I loosened the two bolts on the tranny bracket but that did not make any difference.

I could 'maybe' get the center muffler on but that would only move the problem on down the line to the rear muffler and cause all sorts of tension and maladjustments as brackets were stressed in ways they should not.

I see only two choices: 1) put on the old muffler or 2) buy a new front section from another vendor. One reply mentioned Alfa Parts out in Calif. but I might try the Di Fatta Brothers out of Baltimore since I'm on the East Coast (actually on the West Coast of Florida). I have dealt with them before when I lived in the DC area for a number of decades.

BTW, I cannot return the Centerline muffler since I bought it a while ago and also installed/welded/made-a-mess an O2 bung to tune my SPICA. But on the bright side, I get to practice my welding skills yet again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts