Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm trying to identify an American car from, i think, the Eighties. It,s a big 4 door saloon (sedan!) mostly driven by the bad guys in programmes like the A Team and similar. Its most notable feature is that it has light covers on the front that fold down. Can anyone help? It's really bugging me so i'll have another look through Ebay.

Cheers.

Pile

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Lincoln Continental perhaps?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Most likely a 1970 Lincoln Conti or there abouts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had a quick look on EBAY USA and i think yous are right. Either a Town Car or a Continental. What a cool car. Why isnt everyone in America smoking around in one of these! They're so cheap!

The next car i'm thinking of is, i think, a massive estate / station wagon. Possibly with 3 rows of seat and again from the eighties, usually driven by Mums, and has fake wooden panels along the side. Would i be right in saying this is a Chevy Caprice? Another clue is that they appear to have ultra soft suspension, though this could probably apply to most Yank cars of the era.

No more American car questions!

Thanks.

Pile

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yep Chevy Caprice and also the Olds Vista Cruiser had the panel, Vista Cruisers were a bit older, from the mid seventies.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Hi All. I'm trying to identify an American car from, i think, the Eighties. It,s a big 4 door saloon (sedan!) mostly driven by the bad guys in programmes like the A Team and similar. Its most notable feature is that it has light covers on the front that fold down. Can anyone help? It's really bugging me so i'll have another look through Ebay.

Cheers.

Pile
Is this the Barge you speak of?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that's a 99% match. Would like to see it in black to be sure. Even better if it was getting chased by a black van driven by Mr T! Are these considered classics now? What a quality car. It's time i moved to the Land of the Free!

Thanks again.

Pile

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Quality and 1970's American car are mutually exclusive terms.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
if you were to drive this, you would soon learn what a pig it is. It's not called "The Queen Mary" for nothing. I cannot imagine what leads you to think it is a desirable car. A neighbor has at least two of them, but of course he doesn't drive them, they are just front lawn ornaments. Worth more in scrape metal.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've had a quick look on EBAY USA and i think yous are right. Either a Town Car or a Continental. What a cool car. Why isnt everyone in America smoking around in one of these! They're so cheap!

The next car i'm thinking of is, i think, a massive estate / station wagon. Possibly with 3 rows of seat and again from the eighties, usually driven by Mums, and has fake wooden panels along the side. Would i be right in saying this is a Chevy Caprice? Another clue is that they appear to have ultra soft suspension, though this could probably apply to most Yank cars of the era.

No more American car questions!

Thanks.

Pile
Could be a Caprice or a Ford Country Squire Wagon allthough nothing says 1980s America like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster...:D:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha ha. I dont mean quality in a Mercedes way. And i wouldn't fancy driving (or parking!) one in Scotland. But i'd certainly hire one for a fortnight if i was on holiday in the States. Do you think it would handle like my 164. LOL.
Thanks for the information guys.

I'm off to the pub to watch the football. France versus Scotland. Keep your fingers crossed for us Scots. And for England to get humped.

Thanks again.

Pile

·
Registered
776 Posts
Pile,

Since you're coming from continent of the small cars, I believe you need to have an HGV license to rent such boats.

Or is it yachtmaster certification?

Forgive me, it's been quite some time since I was assimilated.

DaveH

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The only people over here who want these cars only want to do this to them

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 79 cadillac fleetwood brougham, pretty much exactly like this, color and such, i have heard that its a handsome car, majestic if you will, with the best front end (77-79 only) they ever put on this body style(77-92). handels/stops/and accelerates surpisingly well for what it is, and has held together quite well for an near 30yr old car. 4 wheel vented disc's, body bracing in the trunk and underhood with a 425ci (7.0L) V8. Opens alot of eyes, of couse cadillac has always been more performace oriented then Lincoln or Imperial...

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
this thread is too funny, last time i was at the junk yard with my brother we looked at a few, i sat in one i thought i was on my couch :D and you could easily put a microwave or small fridge in the glove box, and as for the trunk, i think you could rent it out as a studio apartment,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Guys. I loved that Caddy with the 7 litre engine. I holiday a lot in America and my favourite part is (apart from all you can eat BBQ ribs) is just looking at the cars. I have noticed more and more though that Yank cars are getting smaller and similar to each other. I love the way the tyres squeal at 5 M.P.H.!

Scotland did beat France in France at the Football last night! This is the biggest result i can remember for our National team. The French are ranked nos 2 in the world!

Anyway thanks again.

Pile

·
Registered
336 Posts
Private Pile, I remember those land yachts well! I was in college in the early 80's and I remember them well (but not fondly). If you drive one, don't forget your barf bag and your dramamine pills! (They don't call them land yachts for nothing!!!:eek:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts