Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a recent conversation with an AlfaBB member I raise the question -

What non-Alfa engines have been used in our cars?

To me, the engine is the greatest source of pleasure, yet I do know that there are other engines that might provide more power.

Anyone seen a V8 in a GTV for example?

Please share. Stories and photos if you have them.

·
Administrator
13,622 Posts
Sacreligeous!!!

BUT there are a few Chev v8 powered racing Alfas in Australia and New Zealand. They are the 6 ltr engines with around 600-800hp and for very serious racing. These cars are not really Alfas anymore, they just have fibreglass shells that look like Alfetta GTV6's. Some use the rear transaxle ... but I guess most do not.

I have seen an add in an English classic car magazine for a 2000 GTV with a Ford 3 ltr v6 engine ... which is sacreligeous as that 3 ltr v6 motor is a boat anchor and produces less power than the Alfa 4 ... plus is all cast iron so the handling would have sucked.

Also many years ago in Australia a GTA was repowered with a Repco Brabham F1 3 lt v8 ... again this was a serious race car. A shame but when cars are racing many things happen to keep them going faster, and faster ...

Pete

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
A few years ago I came across a web page that showed a GTV with a 5.0 Ford Mustang engine stuffed under the hood. I didn't save any pictures because it just made me shudder. They had to move the firewall back in order to fit in the sacrilegious power plant. I just tried Google but could not locate it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alfa Camero

I remember a '74 GTV Alfa "Camero" for sale in CA some years ago in the Alfa Owner classifieds. Someone had dropped in a V8 Camero engine and put on some mean flares all around with 235 mm tiers. I can't imagine the power in that thing and it didn't look to bad either.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Last year i came across a GTV that had a 13b rotary engine installed from a RX7. It sold about 3 weeks later

·
Registered
992 Posts
This isn't non-Alfa powered but it's interesting non-the-less...

I was, a few years back, saw an ad for a GTV w/ a Montreal V8 shoe-horned in it.

Yeesh...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
magista said:
This isn't non-Alfa powered but it's interesting non-the-less...

At the AROC convention last year I saw a '74 GTV for sale that had a bosch injected Spider engine under the hood. I saw it sell later on eBay but I don't think they mentioned the transplant.

Yeesh...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I did an article about 10 years ago for the Dutch Alfa magazine Het K on all the Alfa based specials that ran about 50 pages long. Since then, I have found a number of cars I didn't know about. There is also a section on Alfa based specials in the book La Sport E I Suoi Artigiani 1937-1965 (the sports cars of the artisans).

·
Registered
812 Posts
There are several examples of the 102/106 Spider and Sprint which have had Ford 289 V-8's installed with varying degrees of success.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There's a guy over here with a very fast track 105 GTV powered by a VW engine...
Not a boxer but rather a newer one like passat or something.

No further info though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There was a pretty gruesome white Spider with a Mustang 5.0 engine somehow squeezed into it, at the Little Italy Fest here in San Diego last year. I refused to take pictures of it, out of principle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Touring 2000 / V6 Buick

The latest from Astoria, Or., the V6 buick. Sent some questions to owner but received no answer. Reserve was lowered two days before auction end, but still no bids. Do not know if all from same owner but there has been about 3 Alfas recently from Astoria on Ebay.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Someone either here on or the alfa digest (can't really remember) in the past 6 mos or so had purchased an engine from a Lancia with a (Ferrari?) V8. Looked nice and was tempting. I'm too new at this to move on such things, and I hope our 164 engines stay in business for many more years. It would make for an Italian-engined Alfa conversion. By the way, he was selling the engine, having run out of time to play with it and had it idle too long.

Michael

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know it's painful for the purist to contemplate, as the engine is a source of great joy. But, if it's a choice between rusting to oblivion or being picked up on the cheap by a Grassroots type of tinkerer, I'd take the latter.

I've contemplated this myself. There's a Milano Gold wasting away on a dealer's lot near me, and I could pick it up for next to nothing. I'd love to drop a 3.0 in the front and a Platinum transaxle in the back, but these things are getting rare and expensive, no? American powerplants are much easier to find, and cheaper. Ford 5.0? 2.3L Turbo? Chevy? It's a shame to watch this car go to waste, but I don't really have the skills to do the fab, either. I wouldn't mind if somebody Frankensteined it. At least it wouldn't die.

·
Registered
66 Posts
MrT said:
Someone either here on or the alfa digest (can't really remember) in the past 6 mos or so had purchased an engine from a Lancia with a (Ferrari?) V8. Looked nice and was tempting. I'm too new at this to move on such things, and I hope our 164 engines stay in business for many more years. It would make for an Italian-engined Alfa conversion. By the way, he was selling the engine, having run out of time to play with it and had it idle too long.

Michael
Sounds like the engine you're talking about is from the Lancia Thema 8.32 (1986-1991), a sports sedan with the 308 Quattrovalvole Ferrari powerplant. Also this Lancia model is built on the same platform as the 164.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what he said when offering it for sale. It was apparently an option by Lancia. I thought about it as a speculative investment of $ (for my own future use, not anyone else's; how selfish of me...) but I couldn't see through to attempting to get "local approval" for it to use space for who knows how long in the garage. It was only a thought, but I was thoroughly entertained by it, so I guess I got some cheap enjoyment. Through my generous inaction, someone else had the ability to self-indulge. But if the opportunity were to come up next summer, it might play out differently....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts