Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom I think so but I would check with them for sure, it’s a 3 ohm coil. They’re not very good about calling out what coil is “approved” to use.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
No I have to be 1.5 max or under...where is my steering wheel??????:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom are you 100% sure, I thought it was anything OVER 1.5 ohms? It’s out being polished, don’t worry so much

·
Premium Member
13,687 Posts
The 123 needs a coil of at least 1 ohm and it works best with coils that are close to that value. You can use a coil of less than 1 ohm if you also use a ballast resistor to bring the combined resistance to more than 1 ohm. That is what I have on my Spider. The higher the coil resistance the less energy that is delivered to the spark plug.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just heard back from 123 and Ed is right. Have many of you seen the guts of the 123? Here’s a picture. I’ve experienced some failures with customer cars so I have a new saying- no more 123 for me!
73759C3C-B9EB-457A-8F99-1D6E9AEF62BE.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh really? i was just about to pull the trigger on a 1-2-3. What do you recommend instead? i currently have a '73 with a finicky marelli single rotor

·
Premium Member
13,687 Posts
I have had a 123 distributor since 2007 and I strongly recommend them. There are a multitude of posts about them and they are nearly all positive.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have qualified my remarks a bit. My issues have resulted from use in racing applications which are greatly more demanding than “normal” duty. Ed is correct in his comments but for the last two years I’ve switched all the race cars over to MSD billet distributors with reliable results. For street cars I’ve luck with either the RML unit or Centerlines both of which use a simple electronic trigger set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts