Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for recommendations, but does anyone have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro or Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 on their Giulia?

·
Premium Member
16,711 Posts
Don't know about summer tires, but our Norwegian friends swear by Nokians for winter.

Reactions: alfisti90

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about summer tires, but our Norwegian friends swear by Nokians for winter.
Correct.

Nokian is well known for their winter tires being from Finland.

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde (grey,), 1988 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde (black) 1995 Alfa Romeo 164 ls.
52 Posts
Nokian hakapalita 8 is the finest studded snow tire, I've ever used. Traction will no longer be an issue. Your only limit is ground clearance.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Nokia has a LOT of experience building all weather all season (3 season technically) tires with winter capabilities. The eNTYRE is a 3 season tire with good reviews in light snow,

The Nokian WR series is an all weather four season tire and until Michelin built its Crossclimate it was the only such tire.

Bridgestone owns a big piece of Nokian Tyres. Vredestein is a boutique brand from the Continental company.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nokia has a LOT of experience building all weather all season (3 season technically) tires with winter capabilities. The eNTYRE is a 3 season tire with good reviews in light snow,

The Nokian WR series is an all weather four season tire and until Michelin built its Crossclimate it was the only such tire.

Bridgestone owns a big piece of Nokian Tyres. Vredestein is a boutique brand from the Continental company.
I did not know Nokian is owned by Bridgestone.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Nokia also has a factory in Russia, near St Petersburg. Supplies a 1/4 of the Russian tire market.

For winter capabilities Nokian tyres are the best, whether three season or all weather. For dedicated winter tyres nothing beats Nokian for all around snow, ice and bare road winter performance.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nokia also has a factory in Russia, near St Petersburg. Supplies a 1/4 of the Russian tire market.

For winter capabilities Nokian tyres are the best, whether three season or all weather. For dedicated winter tyres nothing beats Nokian for all around snow, ice and bare road winter performance.
Correct - Nokian is known for their winter tires.

I actually have the Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 on my 1992 Alfa Spider.

I am leaning towards the Nokian Tyre One over the Vredestein Quatrac Pro for my 2017 Alfa Giulia.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I drove my SAAB 9000 Aero on a set of Nokian summers years ago. They were low temperature tolerant with a green indicator that would pop up when the ambient temperatures got "too cold". These were pre Bridgestone investment era tires. I really liked them. They performed really well in summer heat but also down to freezing point. No other summer tire could do that at the time. No snow or ice performance, summer tread only, but really excellent grip in cold weather especially on wet roads.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove my SAAB 9000 Aero on a set of Nokian summers years ago. They were low temperature tolerant with a green indicator that would pop up when the ambient temperatures got "too cold". These were pre Bridgestone investment era tires. I really liked them. They performed really well in summer heat but also down to freezing point. No other summer tire could do that at the time. No snow or ice performance, summer tread only, but really excellent grip in cold weather especially on wet roads.
I had a 2000 Saab 9-3.

Great car.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I purchased a set of NORDMAN WR snow tires from an online retailer last year for my e39 BMW 530i. They seem to work well but, they are stamped, MADE IN RUSSIA. If I had known, I would not have purchased them.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
What's wrong with Russian made tires? It's not as if the things are made by hand. I have a set of Russian made Pirelli Ice tires and they are great. Pirelli is now owned by the Chinese....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wrong car/tire model, but I bought a set of Vredestein Sportrac 5s last year and mounted them on a spare set of wheels for my Alfetta GT. Really like the tires and they're well reviewed. Only took them off because I decided I prefer the look of the Ronal A1 wheels and old Pirelli P400 tires that the car came to me with.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Not looking for recommendations, but does anyone have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro or Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 on their Giulia?
Vredestein Quatrac Pro. Great tire. Nokian too but I'd go for the Vredestein. Just put some on my neighbors car. He loves them.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I use Nokian WR's for over 30 years. Use them on my winter ALFA's(another thread), me Hyundai Sonata(me winter beater, at least it's a standard), and my daughters cars(Camry's), that's shows how much I believe in these tires. They are great for winter and summer driving.The only thing you must do is rotate them religiously. Do it every 5K when I change the oil.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Interesting opinion. Gislaved is now* "just" a Continental brand and Nokian is essentially controlled by Bridgestone. But have these expert investors really dumbed down the brands?

I find the concept of unbiased tyre testing hard to accept. For one thing every tyre is a compromise anyway. There is no such thing as a perfect tyre for every driver or road conditions.

I'll give you a snow tire example: Continental Contact winter tires have a very useful advantage over let us say Michelin snow tires. As the ContiContact loses grip on deep semi hard pack snow the tread continues to develop drive and chews its way through. In testing it may develop less peak grip but in the real world the Conti will keep you going while a Michelin will bog down and leave you stuck. Micelin X Ice may be excellent on glare ice but not so much on hard pack snow. Where Nokian stand out is in all round winter performance. They remain unbeatable in any kind of real world severe winter driving conditions. Unbeatable.

*looked it up. Since 1992!! And just btw Vredestein is owned by Apollo of India (appallo maybe?) and Pirelli is now Chinese. Modern tires are built in automated factories. It really doesn't matter who owns the company nor what country the plant is in. Where are the engineers from and where are they working?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Nokian tires are just as good as the Pirelli's that they replaced on my Alfa Spider.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Interesting opinion. Gislaved is now* "just" a Continental brand and Nokian is essentially controlled by Bridgestone. But have these expert investors really dumbed down the brands?

I find the concept of unbiased tyre testing hard to accept. For one thing every tyre is a compromise anyway. There is no such thing as a perfect tyre for every driver or road conditions.

I'll give you a snow tire example: Continental Contact winter tires have a very useful advantage over let us say Michelin snow tires. As the ContiContact loses grip on deep semi hard pack snow the tread continues to develop drive and chews its way through. In testing it may develop less peak grip but in the real world the Conti will keep you going while a Michelin will bog down and leave you stuck. Micelin X Ice may be excellent on glare ice but not so much on hard pack snow. Where Nokian stand out is in all round winter performance. They remain unbeatable in any kind of real world severe winter driving conditions. Unbeatable.

*looked it up. Since 1992!! And just btw Vredestein is owned by Apollo of India (appallo maybe?) and Pirelli is now Chinese. Modern tires are built in automated factories. It really doesn't matter who owns the company nor what country the plant is in. Where are the engineers from and where are they working?
Michael, we don't have hard packed snow in Calgary :) That's why I chose Michelin :)

P.S. there was a big scandal in Europe few years ago because Nokian supplied tyres with not serial compound for the magazines. Those tyres performed much better in the tests but the real life models were not good.

Anyway, the choice of the tires depends on the driving style. For the old car used for not fast pleasure driving Nokian can be a right brand.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,711 Posts
When we get snow in Seattle, it is mostly a thick layer of sloppy wet slush, difficult to plow through, and where it it is driven on, forms a packed down layer of soft ice with water running on it. Offers no grip at all. Superman would have trouble driving on it, and I've not found a decent snow tire which handles that stuff well. Lol, fourwheelers are usually the first to get stuck.

On the other hand, very cold packed snow is like driving on a sand beach, not much of a problem. Deep snow can be a problem, just have to try to plow through, depending on ground clearance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts