Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
GTV6 1984 with 3.0 Engine
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks ,

Gtv6 1984 based in australia , I have a very noisy radiator fan and about to go away for week including some track stuff.
was planning on using another car (it has no roof) , so **** weather means the gtv6 is being pressed into action.
so job that was on the must do that soon now is should do in next three days.

a, is it possible to service bearing in radator ?
b, given its winter and I have two fans , can I just disconnect noisy one ?
c. Is there a non Melbourne wrecker or shop I could source fans
d. Any where in australia that would sell replace or simular

I know this is a last minute desperate question ....

thanks

peter

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I ain’t no expert on these, but isn’t one fan engine-heat triggered and one air-con triggered?
A Plan B which springs to mind would be to pick the quiet fan and use that for heat-triggered and don’t use the aircon (switch the Wires between the two fans if necessary).
Service or replace the noisy one later.

·
Registered
GTV6 1984 with 3.0 Engine
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply's , SO more investigation , if I drive the car every day after day one of squealing , They are both as quiet as church mice. So I think once they get used a bit they are OK. So we are fine for trip next week.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
A couple of years ago I pulled the fans out of our GTV 6, disassembled and cleaned the motors. I oiled the front bearing with light 3 in 1 oil, and I drilled small holes in the motor cover at the rear bearing so I could drop some oil into those, also. After setting overnight, I oiled them again and connected the wire leads to a battery and clamped the fan motors down. They took off and ran very well, and have run fine ever since. Cleaning of the motor internals and lube is the solution, as well as clean tight electrical connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts