Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '63 101 Giulia is making a rubbing noise when turning right. It sounds to me like it is metal-to-metal, but I have checked and eliminated tire rubbing. The car has original rims and stock tires and stock springs and shocks. The noise seems to only happen when going down hill into a right hand turn. I don't believe it rubs (or I haven't heard it) when on level roads, like around town driving, even if the turns are tight. There is also and metal-to-metal "crunch" sound when the front end dives into a right turn, when there is a dip in the road. This doesn't happen when I hit a dip in the road going straight ahead.

The steering on the car is tight and responsive. It doesn't shake or shimmy and it's not tight in the center and loose at the ends. It does pull slightly to the right. The idler arm bushings were replaced about 6 months ago. The brakes were converted several years ago to disc on both front and rear.

Before I venture into a complete steering/suspension rebuild I would like some help diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Check the wheel bearings, especially the races for uneven surfaces.
This was the exact same noise on my GTV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts