Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reinstalled my driveshaft in my completely gutted trackcar and am wondering about driveline noise.
The vibration is very mild but not non-existent.
The noise is not real loud but you can hear what sounds like every revolution and every connection down there.

The question is am I being paranoid? How can you know that everything is within tolerable limits without just driving it till it breaks (or hopefully not)?

Unfortunately I do not have alot of experience with this stuff and feel like I should ask people who would know.

Thank you everyone!!

·
Richard Jemison
7,886 Posts
Noise

I would suggest you loosen all the giubo bolts one turn and run the engine free of load then tighten them back up Then loosen the clamp bolt and run the engine it will be noisy. Then tighten it up.
Lack of insulation and sound absorption make it sound worse than it is.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yes, once car is completely gutted from insulation, sound dampening, etc. and the use of more solid joints are used in suspension you hear and feel everything... You are left sitting in a resonating tin can :D
Jes

·
Registered
172 Posts
++++ to resonating tin can!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't mean to Hijack- but I have a similar problem, but only when starting and switching off the car, it seems reasonable when up to speed, it just clatters a bit starting and stopping. I am going to replace all the transaxle mounts when I get the chance, It's possible they are allowing a litle too much movement back there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I cannot help fatdarryl but perhaps someone else has some ideas regarding your problem.
As to my issues I thank everyone for their suggestions.
I have made a large push to get the car ready for a track event this weekend at Road Atlanta. I discuss the car in another thread entitled "Boris" and will continue the discussion on the relative pace vis a vis all the other random cars that I track with after the weekend on that thread. I hope to get some laptimes for my car at RA and I will include those for everyone to reference.
The car now has new motor mounts, new guibos and new transmission mounts. I am hoping to have a problem free weekend---so wish me luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
DAryl are u perhaps using redline 75w90NS in ur trnsaxle , becuase if you do not add friction modifiers this clatter you hear is normal transaxle chatter, to stop this open your fill hole on transaxle and run car add modifer until you can hear it stop seal up trans your done!

ive been driving the **** out of my car for months now no problem days but i do religiously take it to the alfa shop to be gone over.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, I'm aware of the NS situation, I don't use redline anyways, I use regular GL5. But I do need to swap out my trans oil properly, as last time my drain plug was jammed up so I just topped up, it's on my to-do list! but I guess thats a good point and easy to fix up! Still think the trans mounts are playing a part, I have new ones ready to go on, but a new(ish) little one in the family is monopolising my time right now haha!

·
Registered
172 Posts
you think it rattles now wait till you get some fresh fluid in there OMG it sounds like marbles in a bag for about a minute then it all calms down, but then again maybe that a redline thing, but the redline is so benificial to the shifting and the cold i will never go back, you do have to top up with a synthetic though. anyways not quite sure how bad urs is but mine and alot of ppls make this noise with no problems for many years. its a milano thing, and here on the west coast or guibos and stuff doesnt dry out and crack our bodys just rust and rust and rust.

and yes the little ons get priority its funny how that works eh...Good luck with the fresh install.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, same here ...rust! I think we are about the same as you guys for wet weather, only we don't get the snow in winter cos where I am South West UK, were are bang on the Gulf Stream. But also about 2 miles from the sea so we get salty air in the mix too... GRRREEEAT! haha Waxoyl is my friend

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Try holding the clutch in when you turn it off. it will save on wear and tear on all the parts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, this is it, I do just that and always have done, I get the noise either way, which has led me to think it is forward of the clutch, but of course, clutch in or out, if the forward trans mounts are toast it would allow the drive shaft to pivot about the centre bearing as the engine shakes when starting stopping (incidentally, at the other end, my motor mounts are all good )

·
Registered
172 Posts
hey darryl another poduct you might wanna look into for rust preventio is this stuff:
Welcome to Amazing Products! | INOX Lubricants, Greases & Battery Conditioners - all natural wont stain or harm any surface made from sheeps wool and its lasdt for 13 mnths on an application....check it out , theres an entire lineup from battery conditioners to engine assembly greases to genral anti corrosion stuff.

·
Registered
158 Posts
looks interesting, but you can only get it in the states and that's a bit of a walk for me, I've always been really happy with Waxoyl products

·
Registered
172 Posts
its also available in Canada daryl but yes i couldsee how shipping to the uk would break you lol...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've just realised how rude I have just been to say states when i mean the whole continent..... GO CANUCKS! lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts