Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
A new exhaust is high on my list of things to do this spring, but has anyone heard anything like this? It happens at 1200 or so RPM. The car sounds OK on the highway, pulls great. But when at low RPM around town I hear this noise. No matter if its in gear going slow or idling at a stop in neutral. The rear rubber muffler hanger is torn. I've found an exhaust leak under the driver's seat.

Do you guys concur that its exhaust related? It just started last week.. See video below, noise happens at the 16 second mark or so:

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Sure sounds like exhaust rattling to me. Can you poke your head under the back of the car ( handbrake on and in neutral of course), and have someone prod the throttle ? You can nudge the exhaust side to side to see if the sound disappears, and pinpoint where the contact is taking place.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The curse of the P/O....

So because my car is a mix of different years (literally), the exhaust system is currently: Two piece manifold -> downpipe -> straight pipe -> first muffler -> second muffler out to tailpipe. The welds on each side of the straight pipe are atrocious and have small leaks.

There was no transmission exhaust mount, just the two rubber mounts at the back. No front resonator either. The first of the two rubber mounts tore and the system was bouncing up and down when it reached 1200 RPM (resonance). The noise was coming from the rearmost bracket.. or something inside the last muffler - I'm not sure, but keeping the pipe from moving gets rid of the noise.

While I'm down there I'm repairing several cracks and adding the exhaust bracket....

...the curse of the P/O.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts