Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my intake plenum on my 84 Spider Thursday evening to perform a bit of maintenance. First and foremost was to replace the original intake runners.
The rest of my vacuum hoses were replace with Greg Gordon's silicon hoses back in 2006.

I see a bit of oil in the #2 cylinder intake runner...not sure what to make of it. First thought is that it's not too bad for 27 years and I'm assuming that it is from cracks in the rubber coupling. Any other takes?

I have also pulled the fuel rail and am sending my injectors to OKperformance for rebuilding. I also plan to pull the starter for a preventative rebuild. I have no issues with the starter but it is very accessible right now. Motor mounts are new so no need to mess with them.

Speaking of the mounts, next time I do them (hopefully not for a very long time) I will pull the plenum for access. Removing the plenum was not very difficult and I can't believe how easy it is to get to the rest of the stuff down below. Can't say I pulled the plenum in the 30 minutes Bianchi mentioned in a thread I read a few days ago but I encountered no issues with the removal. I'll post an update when I get around to putting it back together....

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using some simple green to clean things up. Anyone know anything else worth trying?

·
Registered
what part?
9,987 Posts
????? what is that thing? looks welded to no.2 from the right,under the runner?..oh by the way .it take me longer than 30 mins. now..40- mins..i got a hold of some puch on goodyear hose.. sort of like a ' chinese finger trap' once you out it on.. got to cut it off.. but , the hose will never slip off.. they clam you don't need a hose clamp on this hose,, 200 psi blow of pressure at 250 degrees.. looks pretty on the car, but a wee bit of a pain, when you go to work on a part of the car... and you must remove the hose...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too funny! Nothing welded. Just the way the stuff was sitting when I took the pick. I got to think about it as I hadn't pulled the fuel rail yet...

Injectors mailed off on Saturday.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the starter today and took in to a shop in town for a refresh. The gentleman at the desk asked me what the problem was I replied "nothing". I explained that this was a case of I'm at a point that the starter was easy to get to and given the age I thought I'd be proactive for once. He understood and said I'd have it back in a couple of days.

I'll be able to get it back and installed before my injectors are returned as I sent them parcel post...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Don,

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but as you've just pulled the intake, I'd like your advice. As far as I can tell, you can only take the intake off including the support bracket. The top bolt and nut where it attaches to the intake manifold is easy enough, but I'm really struggling with the 17mm bottom bolt...my hands are way too big. This was never easy on the Duetto, but seems impossible with the 84:eek: Am I missing something?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem.
I took the intake plenum off first while leaving the bracket in place. There are two bolts under the plenum that attach it to the brace. Once I had the plenum loose, I removed the two additional bolts that hold the accelerator mechanism to the bottom side of the plenum.
Disconnect the accelerator rod and your home free.

Even with the plenum in place, you can remove the bottom bolt that attaches to the the motor mount by removing the nut with a long extension, working from the front, underside of the car.
Once the nut is off, tap the bolt out with a hammer.

Ocen

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
No problem.
I took the intake plenum off first while leaving the bracket in place. There are two bolts under the plenum that attach it to the brace. Once I had the plenum loose, I removed the two additional bolts that hold the accelerator mechanism to the bottom side of the plenum.
Disconnect the accelerator rod and your home free.

Even with the plenum in place, you can remove the bottom bolt that attaches to the the motor mount by removing the nut with a long extension, working from the front, underside of the car.
Once the nut is off, tap the bolt out with a hammer.

Ocen
thanks, I did not find the bolts that attach the plenum to the brace....I'll look again!;)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Starter back in.

Got my rebuilt starter back on Thursday and installed it today. Still have a few things to do before I button the thing up. I still have the injectors out for cleaning so no hurry.

I've cleaned up the plenum along with taking the opportunity to clean up the passenger side of the motor.

I thought I'd share a couple of pics. The one with the starter shows the front bracket and how it attaches to the motor mount. Needless to say, I still have to install the plenum support before tightening anything up down there!

Also thought I'd share a picture of my very dirty car with it's skirt up!

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
9,987 Posts
thats odd.. i also have a 84 spider.. don't remember having those starter mounts on back of my starter..., and i guess it's too late now, but paul sprull motor mounts are better, when you get them,, and look at them they look like a motor mount with a alumiumn cap,, and there is a space between the rubber and the cap, but once you have the engine weight on them the rubber expands into the cap, making them more solid,, less of a chance for the mount to give way at a later date, and your fan hitting the rad.. but i belive you can just get the aluimiumn cas from paul.. just make shure that your mounts are round.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just did the mounts a few months back. Don't plan on tackling that job again for a few years.

As I understand it, the mount on the starter is due to the size and horsepower (1.1) of the starter. This is the original starter for the car, unless it was replace back when it was only a year old! My brother bought the car in early 1986 with 11K miles on the clock. I took it off his hands in 1994 with 43K miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts