Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've pretty much decided that there's no pointer on my car--at least not that I can see. The reference points I have are the P mark at TDC (using soda straw technique)n and the end of the tachometer cable.

I painted a white mark on the engine case right where the "P" was at TDC, (I'd appreciate knowing if that's about where it should be,) then rotated the engine until the "F" was lined up with it. I'm not sure the mark is in the right place--it's right next to the end of the tach cable.

The problem is, with the engine in this position, I can't rotate the distributor CCW to get the test light to turn off as per the technique described in my Autobooks workshop manual. All the way CCW, the light is still on. It turns off around half-way through the rotation CW. I've got my test light hooked up to the black lead on the coil and to ground. Is it possible the instructions are backwards, and I'm actually supposed to rotate it CW until the light goes off, then CCW until it comes back on?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah-never mind. I found a description of the process and I didn't have my test light across the coil leads. I think I've got it now.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've pretty much decided that there's no pointer on my car--at least not that I can see. The reference points I have are the P mark at TDC (using soda straw technique)n and the end of the tachometer cable.

I painted a white mark on the engine case right where the "P" was at TDC, (I'd appreciate knowing if that's about where it should be,) then rotated the engine until the "F" was lined up with it. I'm not sure the mark is in the right place--it's right next to the end of the tach cable.

The problem is, with the engine in this position, I can't rotate the distributor CCW to get the test light to turn off as per the technique described in my Autobooks workshop manual. All the way CCW, the light is still on. It turns off around half-way through the rotation CW. I've got my test light hooked up to the black lead on the coil and to ground. Is it possible the instructions are backwards, and I'm actually supposed to rotate it CW until the light goes off, then CCW until it comes back on?

well... the test light should be hooked up to the neg side of the coil... and you rotate the dist OPPOSITE from the rotation of the rotor... so if the rotor normally rotates counter clockwise as viewed from the top, the you rotate the dist counter clockwise.

having said that... are you doing this as a first time start up and can't get it to start and run ? because if it starts and runs now , then you really need a timing light to set the timing properly. as a rough and ready sort of " get
it to start " deal , you can put it on tdc and take the cap off and look at where the rotor is pointing... which should be close to either #1 or 4 pole. then rotate the dist appropriately until the points just open ( are they set correctly ? ) and that ought to be close enough to start it assuming everything else like the firing order etc is correct.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just doing a basic "get it running" thing right now. I'll time it with a timing light when I'm sure I have the index mark in the right place. Still finding DPO problems. For example, he seemed to believe that when installing carbs, it's only important to tighten the mounting bolts that are easy to reach.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pointer Location?

I saw a number of posts that said that the pointer attached to the water pump. Then I saw this:

That looks about right based on my TDC test, but it looks like it's attached to the tach cable rather than the water pump. It's also something I can fabricate pretty easily. Just want to make sure I'm not basing all of my adjustments on a misplaced pointer.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The things we take pictures of.

Here is a picture of the new water pump that I installed, with the timing pointer thoughtfully painted red to assist you.

water pump small.jpg

You can see (probably) that it is just a bent flat plate. The flat plate has a large hole to go around the Tach drive cable, and two small holes on either side of that large hole, for the bolts that hold it in place. The pointer is simply a a thin strip, bent to fold over the pulley wheel, with the tip clipped to a "V" shape.

water pump small zoomed.jpg

You can easily fabricate one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts