Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five years of firing right up, not today.... so headed to town, starts up then dies, again, starts and dies when giving gas, ***??? Sounds like no gas so listen for fuel pump.. working, pull fuel line, plenty of gas, still starts and dies when giving throttle. Check wires to msd, all good, weak spark, rotor, cap good? Hummm, then notice msd blaster coil tower, hair line cracks! Crank and spark jumping to + - terminals! Coil and msd under 5 years old, no abuse. Pull Lucas super coil, the one with ribbed red tower I had on my 59 Giulietta 45 years ago and she bangs right off, actually a better spark, at least it hit 65 on my dyno road, pulling off lake road to other side of the bridge. I use that stretch of road to check speed at end with same amount of throttle. Believe it or not it's a pretty good seat of the pants way to check state of tune. Bottom line is that a bad coil can mimic fuel problems.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Once again proving the rule "Make sure the ignition is in order before mucking about with the carburetor(s)."

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you do that with webers without taking one off and looking up the manifold end of the throat pumping the shaft and spraying gas in your eye:) besides chances of both going out overnight are pretty slim and it will still run and rev with slow application of throttle. If it had done that then I'd have gotten the mirror out:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts