Alfa Romeo Forums banner

No start on 81 spider

770 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  alfafan61 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I need some help!

My 81 spider stoped starting this week. I replaced the distributor cap and got new wires, but still no start. I started poking around with the multimetre today... It looks like i have 10.5 volts going into the ignition coil, however coming out, it doesn't register on my meter. I took out a spark plug and checked to see if i was getting a spark. I am getting the tinniest spark which is amost invisible in the dark coming out of the side of the plug. I think this probably mean that my coil isn't working??? Im not very experienced at this so any feedback would be great!

#4 ·
I had a problem for a while where my spider would not start. It ended up being the wire connecting to the battery. THere are three wires one black and two red. One of the reds had worked its way lose, needless to tsay the car would crank but nbot turn over.

Sometimes it is the easiest thing.

Publio

#5 ·
If you have a Spica system make sure the belt is not broken. Look for the easy stuff first like belt, fuel supply and filters (fuel pressure light should go off and stay off), then move on to checking for spark and condition of plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.