Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Push hard and live
12,121 Posts
If the fuel line is very old, and was stored dry, there is a good chance they've collapsed and/or are feeding crap down into the carb. I suggest you consider replacing the rubber hoses asap, and before going much farther, either remove the carbs for a good cleaning, or walk through the in-situ carb cleaner process.

Also, although I have a set of 40ADDH carbs out in my shop, I've never really studied them. I suspect they use a diaphragm accelerator pump. It is quite likely that they have perished after being stored dry for so long, then asked to perform regular duty with gasoline. If they are similar to other Solex accelerator pump diaphragms, they should be easily accessed on the bottom of the carbs after removing same from the car. I'd say those were highly suspect on the DOA list.

· Push hard and live
12,121 Posts
It may be something simple like a ball one-way valve that is stuck on its seat in both carbs. I haven't worked on ADDH carbs, but Solex likes little rising/falling ball one-way valves, and if they get stuck in place they don't rise and let fuel through. You might just try rapping on the carburetors with a little hammer (calibrated blows, of course) and see if one or both pop loose.

Don

· Push hard and live
12,121 Posts
Roger,

All kidding aside, just take a small hammer and tap anywhere that you don't think will do any harm. tap-tap-tap-tap. You might be surprised. I've had this work on other Solexes, and if you've confirmed ball check valves, I'm ready to double down on the bet.

If it works, you may not really need an in-situ soak. The fresh gas will tend to dissolve whatever is there. Maybe some carb cleaner in the gas tank wouldn't hurt, once you get them running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.