Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Well, I discovered what my mechanic was talking about. Bosch lists one part number for the reman (SR484X) but you dont know if you will get the large bodied starter or the smaller one as fit in my 91. What arrived was the large, much heavier and looks like it requires a support bracket on the other end. So this one is going back.
That can’t be the right Bosch number. The big starter is for the 131 tooth ring gear from 1975 to 1989. Alfa did fo to the small size starter in 1986.

Your ring gear is 130 tooth starting in 1990. Which is different Bosch number from the earlier starter.

I recommend taking the one in your car to a rebuilder and have them fix it.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
what are the Bosch numbers stamped on your 'reman SR484X' starter?

iirc, the correct 1,4kW, 9 tooth, 3 mounting hole starter for the S4 would be Bosch 0001108081 (aka Bosch 0986015630)
do those numbers correlate to the old starter by any chance? (if you still have it, that is)

in fact, when I need a part, my very first search is always using the original alfa romeo PN....
because
a) sometimes you find a NOS part, so you know it'll fit perfect and you won't have to hammer it into place or shave bits off it with the dremel....;)
and b) a lot of good sellers have already done the research for you and have cross referenced OEM numbers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The Amazon part number is obscured by the rebuild sticker.
I haven't pulled my current starter yet and the part number is hard to see.

Alfa Parts sells only reman. Classic Alfa sells reman or the Chinese part I mentioned, or a gear reduction version.
Bosch USA lists the same part for 1979, 1985 and 1991 Alfa Spiders. Yes, I know it's clearly wrong.

·
Registered
131 Posts

checking out this video shows the removal of the solenoid to be simple. Why are we (the bb) telling people to replace entire starters? Is the solenoid NLA?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
just the weight saving should be good for another 5 mph:)

I have no experience with WAI chinese starters, but just make sure it has 9 teeth and spins clockwise.

when you swop them out remember the shouldered bolt, that needs to go back in the middle mounting hole
(in fact, as with any aftermarket piece, test the bolts fit nicely before trying to fit the new starter)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts