Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep. New from the most reputable parts source (Alfa Parts in Berkeley) installed by one of the top NorCal mechanics (Torsten at Prestige).
Could a counterfeit Bosch have made its way to the US? Sure. But unlikely given the sales volume...
I will double check the grounds tomorrow just to be sure, but at this point I've pretty much exhausted what I can test without access to at least a floor jack or ramps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
  • Car bump starts and runs just fine.
  • When I run 12v to the solenoid, I get nothing, not even a click.
Don’t these two points logically indicate that there’s an issue with your starter solenoid? If your car runs just fine, based on my experiences with Motronic + battery/12v issues, that tells me it’s electrically OK. Motronic is really sensitive to voltage disruptions and you’d see other symptoms.
Starter solenoid doesn’t click even when 12V confirmed is applied. How is this not your issue confirmed?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Agree 100%. Is it under warranty still?
I was going to laugh at the idea of a warranty on an Alfa but then I realized you meant the starter and the install work.
If I were still in CA, I'm sure my mechanic would replace it if it were defective, and I'm also sure that Jon at Alfa Parts would replace it.
However I'm now clear across the country, so I'm not sure how any of that is going to work.
I'm in touch with the local club and trying to find a place to look at it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My mechanic asked me to try adding a ground to the starter. I did. Also verified braided ground wires at the starter, and from drivetrain to body near the clutch slave. No difference. Time to either DIY or find a local mechanic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks like you can use a multimeter on the starter solenoid from the little 12v wire to (probably) the body of the solenoid or close ground. Measure ohms. If it reads open (infinite resistance) then it’s bad for sure. It’s just an electromagnet. If someone has a functional starter on a bench they could give us an expected resistance value..

Removing the intake plenum might be the best way to access the starter from above...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I called Jon up and explained the issue, told him I just can't imagine how a 3 week old new starter goes bad. He says "rebuilt." I said "Huh?"
Apparently the starter was a reman, because that's all there is. He sighed and said he is thinking of not selling starters anymore, but he has a reduction gear model that might work for me.
Still researching, but feel better that I have a somewhat logical explanation now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My mechanic said that there are two types that use the same part number - the 91 uses a smaller unit, which Bosch apparently doesn't carry.
The Bosch reman part is SR0484X (at least in the US). RockAuto lists reman units as little as $98, with a new off-brand Chinese unit for $96.
I might just commit to fixing the **** thing myself and then going from there.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
My mechanic said that there are two types that use the same part number - the 91 uses a smaller unit, which Bosch apparently doesn't carry.
The Bosch reman part is SR0484X (at least in the US). RockAuto lists reman units as little as $98, with a new off-brand Chinese unit for $96.
I might just commit to fixing the **** thing myself and then going from there.
that is indeed the correct Bosch reman number for the S4 (except it is SR484X)
For Sale - Bosch Starter for Spider $150

might not be a bad idea to get it off the car and at least test it on the bench......if needs be, repair it or have ot repaired at one of those oldie-worldy back street starter /alternator shops:)
your reputable alfa mech will obviously not have left out the shoulder bolt from the middle of the 3 bolts.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Get this - Amazon had it for just over $100 and will return $17 if you send back the core. Ordered one just in case, it will be here Friday.
Well, I discovered what my mechanic was talking about. Bosch lists one part number for the reman (SR484X) but you dont know if you will get the large bodied starter or the smaller one as fit in my 91. What arrived was the large, much heavier and looks like it requires a support bracket on the other end. So this one is going back.

Rockauto has an off-brand Chinese unit that appears to be the same one Classic Alfa sells. I ordered that to try as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you considered a local rebuilder for starters/alternators that you could patronize? Then you can send your mechanic the bill..

21 - 40 of 49 Posts