Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I parked my GTV about a week ago. Tried to start her today, to no avail....Usually fires up quite easily. I checked for spark, go that. Then I checked for Fuel, and I don't see any. The issue is that this GTV has a 116 engine in there, and I don't have a manual for that engine. From what I see is that it looks like it has a mechanical fuel pump bolted to the engine right where the oil dipstick is, is that correct? Or is there an electric pump somewhere? I don't see any in the wiring diagram that I have for the GTV. When I disconnect the line from what looks like the mechanical pump, and crank, no fuel comes from the line...any advice is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
[. When I disconnect the line from what looks like the mechanical pump, and crank, no fuel comes from the line...any advice is appreciated!!!
[/QUOTE]

First check the fuel filter/pressure regulator glass bowl and see if the filter has disintegrated and clogged something.

Next, take the fuel pump off (it's easy, two or three bolts) and then remove the top. That's where the diaphragm is located. It's probably got a crack in it. There used to be repair kits for the mechanical fuel pumps, but they may be gone now. In any event, you can easily make a new diaphragm with some similar material.

If the diaphragm looks OK, you probably have a blockage somewhere in the lines. Take an air line and blow through the gas line toward the tank (take the filler cap off) and then put everything together and see if you've got gas.

There's only a few things in the loop that can cause trouble on a carbureted car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so what I am seeing probably IS a mechanical fuel pump.....there seems to be a filter after that pump, I'm sure there must be another before the pump somewhere
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
OK, so what I am seeing probably IS a mechanical fuel pump.....there seems to be a filter after that pump, I'm sure there must be another before the pump somewhere
Thanks!

Yes, that's the mechanical fuel pump. When you take it off be careful to look for the little metal shaft that connects to the lever that drives the pump. It will either slide out with the pump, stay connected to the fitting on the block, or fall underneath the car and get lost.

Originally, the only filter was a Fispa combination pressure regulator/filter w/ glass bowl between the pump and the gas tank. There's a release underneath the glass bowl if you want to replece the filter. I think they're still made by Malpassi (Filter King) and sold in the UK.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
took the pump of, as well as the filter. The glass bowl was almost empty, as I suspected, bc the pump was not delivering fuel. It had quite a bit of sediment, so I need to replace the filter.

I took the pump apart, and I really can't find anything wrong with it, but I took some pictures, some of you may see the culprit.

I think it'll be hard to replace this pump and filter (am I wrong?), and am thinking about replacing the pump with an electric pump, and the filter with a generic filter.
This car, with this Alfetta engine, can hardly be called stock anymore anyways, and I want to turn it into a reliable driver.
Any suggestions around what pump/filter to use, and do's and don'ts? For my Duetto I got the IAP solid state pump, and it works fine. Any suggestions on how to wire the pump? Splice off of the coil?

BTW, blew into the fuel line, and don't think I felt any blockage. I checked under the car, and there does not seem to be any filter before the pump, which I think was weird...would it not be better to filter before the pump?

Sorry for all the questions...any advice you can give/experience you can share is welcome!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, i just replaced the fuel pump with a brand new mechanical pump.....still no fuel coming out of the pump:mad::mad:...when I suck on the fuel line, I get fuel....what's up with that??

·
Registered
505 Posts
Peter weet je zeker dat het de juiste pomp is. Het lijkt net of dat de pompas te kort is. heb je de pakking er tussen zitten. Zo niet dan kan de pomp ook vast gaan zitten.
Succes
Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts