Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nick here, I'm 13 years old. My first car is a 1984 Spider Veloce 2.0 liter fuel injection. The big problem is that I'm not getting a spark at the spark plug. I've replaced the battery, spark plugs and wires, distributer cap, rotor, and coil. It cranks over fine and I smell fuel. But it won't fire. I've pulled the coil wire, cranked it over it will not spark when grounded. Any suggestions? I need help!! Thanks lilspyder.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Points and condensor inside your cap? Or do you have a sensor on your flywheel? Your age is outstanding, especially here, carry on young man!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Nick...

Where are you located? The bb is a tremendous resource for assistance and you might be surprised how readily some will volunteer to come help especially young Alfa owners with their problems.

Good luck

·
Administrator
16,622 Posts
Welcome to the BB. Where are you going to be able to drive your Spider at age 13?

(My first car was a 1956 Oldsmobile. But I never got to drive it except in the driveway as I was 14 years old then.)

My first car that I could (legally) drive on the road was (is) a 1960 MGA. I still have that car.

Anyway, re: your no-spark Spider, see the link in my signature block to a whole page about L-jet diagnosis for the '82-'89 Spiders. HTH

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check the flywheel sensors. There are two of them. They need to send a signal to the ECU in order to generate a spark to the plugs. I had one that the mounting bolt had fallen out and was freely swinging in the wind. It rersulted in no spark. I mounted it back on and she fired right up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't find the flywheel sensors

I looked in my manual and couldn't find anything about a flywheel sensor.
Where is this part located on the motor? I am located in Minneapolis. There is a foreign car mechanic in town called Alexanders. I talked to him and he said that to find the problem he would have to start right where I started and moving down the line. I want to figure this out myself and not bring it somewhere and pay for that. I don't make much money either. I will not be able to drive this car until I get my permit. My mom wants to drive me to school when we get it running.Thank you for helping me everyone

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Flywheel sensors are on the bell housing just below the starter motor on the right side.

The plug connections are in the vicinity of the windsheild washer fluid resevoir. (1 gray, 1 black, don't mix them up)

As suggested by ghnl, click the link in his signature block, or mine for that matter (goes to the same place) for a great deal more information on the system, including how to test those sensors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely check out ghnl’s link and keep it handy for future trouble shooting.

I had a similar event with my 67, which is way simpler- no chips, sensors etc. It was running fine, stopped to fill up and then wouldn’t start. It would crank but not fire; no spark to the plugs. Turns out a ground before the distributor got loose. Simply tightened the ground screw and fired up.
The solution was simply to take the voltmeter and trace it back. Alfas are notorious for ground issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nick - Eric's link will give much info. on your spider. Do a search for "flywheel sensors". Your spider needs AT LEAST 10.3 volts from the battery while cranking to start. Dirty grounds are also a prime reason for no spark. Do some more studying on this site - you'll find the answer. Ask questions - there are some great Alfa masters on this BB that want to help. Good luck & Welcome, young man - you may find yourself a true "Alfaholic" by the time you're old enough to drive! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts