Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, and gals. Just joined the form, 1st off, awesome!!! I'm sure I have a lot more reading to attend to, but all of the members are very helpful!

Okay, to business, I have an 87 spider graduate.. Had it for some time, I've recently started to restore it, I've ovehauld the motor and head. It has new tank, pumps, and I'm not getting and spark or fuel. When it ran (years ago..) with the turn of the key, the fuel pump(s) would prime, but not anymore. When I took the motor out, I took EVERYTHING out, without any sort of remembering where things went.. So I have no idea how the ignition system is wired.. The motor is already timed, I took the flywheel off just to make sure that it was correctly set, and it is..

I need help guys! Please...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've gone thru the whole car... but the thing is, i believe that my coil is not properly connected.. i will do the testing that you showed me this weekend!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for the abandonment guys/girls... so i went thru the WHOLE car, i have spark, i have fuel, but the car won't start. the injectors are getting signal, the pump primes, the fuel pressure is awesome. i believe the timing is "good" (cyl 1, TDC. Flywheel, TDC. Pulley, TDC). i don't know what to do anymore. im going thru all the wiring that papajam gave me (thank you btw, if i didnt say it enough) someone please!!!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Are you sure your battery is good? Bosch L-Jet needs a minimum voltage WHILE CRANKING of about 10.5v. Also is the engine flooded? On the V6 cars you can go into "flood clear mode" by pressing the gas pedal down all the way while cranking, I think it is the same on the Bosch Spiders but I can't remember for sure.

If none of that works you may want to verify that the marks on the cams are lining up with those on the caps when the engine is at TDC, I know that can be a pain on the Bosch Spiders with all the stuff you have to take off!

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a brand new battery, it looks like the injectors are not getting enough power, how can that happen? my cold start injector has a lot of power though. so i'm really lost with whats going on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cleaned the crap out of them, im going thru the car right now and all of its groups, taking them off and cleaning surfaces and putting them back... im running out of ideas

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Sorry the location I mentioned was for the Milano, I assume you found the injector grounds for the Spider.

How did you check for low voltage to the injectors and what were you seeing?

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its an electronic fuel injector tester, you plug in an LED/bulb to the harness to see if theres current getting to the injectors, but its a very faint light. when i plug the tool in the cold start injector, it light up like a christmas tree!!!

the ground for the is on the same side, but the injector #4 and/or by the vacuum sensor (not sure if that's what it's called.) also, the valve cover hex bolts in the back (by the firewall) have each an aluminum washer, as opposed to the the other four which have orange plastic/mesh washers... if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
OK, that's a NOID light. It could just look faint because it is on for such a short time vs. the cold start which can be on for multiple seconds.

Have you tested the crank position sensors, those can cause no start problems, I had one go out once. You'll have to look around for the test method, I can't remember exactly what it was. Also, if they are installed in the wrong holes (swapped) then that will cause problems too.

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes! i NOID light, thanks for that... i couldnt remember the name!!
i had someone test the crank sensors while the motor and trans were out, but i thought that both sensors were identical??? just plugging in the correct connector, (grey and black)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts