Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Alfa seen and I picked up A 1987 spider . Great car needed
some work and did not run whin I picked it up . but after a little time she came to life. But found out that it had some serious trans problims . So I picked up a good used trans and instaled it .But now she wont start! I have checked all of the inj ,put in a new coil,and a new good used ECU and checked all the wireing and did all that I can think of but for the life of me
I cant git her to come to life again . There is no points in the dist . I love this car and cant wait to take her for a spin with the top down. I would Thank
someone so much if they could help me and tell me where I might look to fix
my car ?

Thank You
Mike S

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
Have a look at the L-jet diagnosis page - a link is in my signature.

Typical reasons for no-start/no-spark are inadequate battery voltage during cranking (the ECU needs ~ 10.3V to wake up and it is entirely possible for voltage to drop below that level yet it sounds like the engine is cranking over OK), poor electrical connections - especially grounds, &/or a failed flywheel sensor or two.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If the "no spark" happened the same time you swapped out the transmission then I would definitely check the flywheel sensors. They need to be attached to send signals to your Electronic Control Unit which coordinates the spark to your plugs. I had some clutch work done recently and the mechanic failed to properly mount one of the flywheel sensors. It eventually became dislodged and the car wouldn't start. I spent a day and a half following ghnl's diagnostic pages before i crawled underneath and realized that the fly wheel sensor was "flying free". I reinstalled it and the car fired right up.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Did you change the clutch and machine the flywheel? If so did you put the flywheel on in the same position as when you removed it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help is there any way to put them in the wrong way or any way to check the flywheel sensor's?

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
The flywheel has a small magnet in its edge. The flywheel to crankshaft connection is not 'doweled' so there are 6 ways it can be installed but only one is correct as far as the position of that magnet. If the flywheel was removed during the transmission swap (as Bob asked) are you sure it was re-installed correctly? Info about installing the flywheel is in the L-jet page.

The threads in the bell housing can be easily stripped allowing the sensor's attaching bolt to come loose.

The two flywheel sensors are identical but they have to be connected to the wire harness correctly. The connections are color-coded (grey & black) - info about how they connect is in the L-jet page.

You should also test the resistance of the flywheel sensors (using an ohm meter). Info about that is also in the L-jet page.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info I will check this.. also is ther a way to get the two mixed up one is on top of the other and if I put them in the wrong hole what will happen? Also I nver took the flywheel and clutch so they are in tack. Thanks again Mike

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
The sensors are identical and can be installed in either position. However, they must be connected to the wire harness correctly (see the L-jet page). One tells the computer the crankshaft speed (rpm's), the other its position (timing). If they are connected wrong, the ignition timing will be way off (I doubt it'd run at all).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the L-jet page and it gave me a lot of info on how it is done and I will be doing that ASAP. I would like to Thank You all for the Help that you all have givein
me and I will be gitting back to you to let you know how things are going . Again
Thank You very much

MIKE S

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ba bing !! She has come to life again . I took A look at the flywheel sensors and checked there ome setting and found that it was a little week . Also found that the power going in to the CPU was to low took care of all this and hit the key and she woke up !! God I am so happy ! I would like to Thank You all for your help and the onfo where to look
for this problim so now a few miner adj on the trans and I will be wizzen down the street
with the top down smilieing from ear to ear . Thank you all again MIKE S

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
Good news! Glad to hear you got that issue sorted out.

BTW, please consider making a donation to the BB (there is a link at the top of the page). Donations (plus the occasional click on an advertisement) help keep this BB alive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts