Alfa Romeo Forums banner

no refridgerant in a/c

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  MrT 
#1 ·
So where should I start looking for leaks? Its not a slow leak, its something major as my pressure reads absolute 0. Any common issues here? It worked until we changed the clutch, what could I have broken? lol. I will pull the compressor also since the front pulley looked a bit wobbly.

#3 ·
It wont run without pressure

The trinary switch won;t turn the compressor on unless it sees pressure so good there!

Jason it could be leaking from lots of places-- first thing to do is pull a vacuum and see if it holds --- you can maybe tell where the leak is but likely not. Next thing you can do is get a dye charge, throw it in and pressurize the system and see where it leaks out.

bob

#4 ·
A vacuum test could tell you a lot, but try using nitrogen to pressurize the system and listen for the leak. If you do not have a vacuum pump they can be borrowed from autozone. If you have the time, you can come by the shop and borrow my air compressor powered vacuum pump.

#6 ·
Great looking website passed it on to my Fiat Racing buds. My wife's best friend is DON (Director of Nursing) at hospital in College Station. We were last there in 2003.

#8 ·
I am also in the same situation here.... no pressure, absolutely zero. I haven't found a place which can rent me a vacuum pump.

So, autozone does rent vacuum pumps... really??? I can try that is thts the case. Where can I find nitrogen bottles?? Anyway I am thinking of converting it to R134a.

-Pavan

#9 ·
I know Autozone rents them. I would expect that most of the big parts suppliers will also rent them. Industrial welding supply shops should be able to rent you a nitrogen tank. You put the AC system under constant pressure and listen for the leaks. Using nitrogen has never let me down. You could also inject a little oil/dye combination with some freon and use the black light if is it easier. Good luck.

#12 ·
It cost me $48 to have an A/C shop check my wife's '92S to find that the evaporator(in the belly of the beast), the high pressure hose, and the compressor all leaked. But you never know just how carefully the leaks were localized. Could be connections, I guess. I'll make the acquaintance of the internals of the compressor sometime soon, I guess.

But I thought the $48 was acceptable as a diagnostic cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.