Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I was driving down my driveway and I lost all power to the dash, and the battery light turned to full brightness.

Today I tested it and found this.

I have no power to:
any gauge
wiper blades
entire instrument cluster

I do have power to:
after market radio (wired separate)
AC blower
all lights on exterior of car
cigarette lighter light

Things that never really worked anyways:
cigarette lighter
interior lights
heater blower

The battery/alternator light does not come on at all, which is unusual because it normally has a soft/faint glow, stronger w/ accessories on.

I charged the battery, and ran the car. With no accessories on I measured 12.4 volts, after 20 minutes this voltage dropped to 11.5 (all accessories on to drain faster, but none on while measuring)

All fuses appear fine. I have not taken the dash apart to look for any issues. I did not smell anything unusual when this occurred. I suspect the alternator has been on its way out for a little while now.

I do need this car to get to work and back a few days this week, so any help would be appreciated. If all else fails, im going total loss for a few days.

Matt

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
This week I was driving down my driveway and I lost all power to the dash, and the battery light turned to full brightness.

Today I tested it and found this.

I have no power to:
any gauge
wiper blades

I do have power to:
after market radio (wired separate)
AC blower
all lights on exterior of car
cigarette lighter light

Things that never really worked anyways:
cigarette lighter
interior lights
heater blower

The battery/alternator light does not come on at all, which is unusual because it normally has a soft/faint glow, stronger w/ accessories on.

I charged the battery, and ran the car. With no accessories on I measured 12.4 volts, after 20 minutes this voltage dropped to 11.5 (all accessories on to drain faster, but none on while measuring)

All fuses appear fine. I have not taken the dash apart to look for any issues. I did not smell anything unusual when this occurred. I suspect the alternator has been on its way out for a little while now.

I do need this car to get to work and back a few days this week, so any help would be appreciated. If all else fails, im going total loss for a few days.

Matt
Check fuse box for loose wires, can't remember if these cars had fusible links in them or not-if so-start there.

·
Administrator
16,636 Posts
Even if the fuses LOOK OK, replace them anyway. The bullet style fuses in our Alfas are known to stop working as they get old even if they appear capable of working. Kinda like me...!

And clean the fuse contacts (I use a brass bristle 'toothbrush') and make sure the contacts hold tight onto the fuses.

While you're cleaning things, clean the connections at the junction box on the left, inner fender. Do this with the battery disconnected as the red wires are 'hot'.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I have no power to:
any gauge
wiper blades
Just for giggles, look at the left end of your dash where it meets the side panel of the body.

Underneath in that corner right above to hood release there is mounting screw for the dash proper that should have some ground wires anchored firmly and cleanly under it.

Ground wires like for the dash lights, the gauges and likely the wiper switch......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts