Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of sudden yesterday the car would not accelerate over 3000 rpm's. Just starts bogging out. Also noticed the last few times the car was driven that the cat converter was making more rattle noises than it used to. I checked resistance of flywheel sensors and they test out ok. Replaced both fuel pumps last summer and they seem to work ok. Filled up the tank to make sure it was not a fuel pick up problem in the tank. Would a bad cat cause this problem and what else should I be chasing? Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a stab in the dark here, have you checked fuel regulator for pressure? I believe there is a vacuum hose to the reg., it may be cracked or has fallen off.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
A plugged cat can definitely give you those symptoms. Try hooking up a vacuum gauge to the intake. If it is an exhaust restriction the vacuum will drop drastically as you approach the 3k rpm "limit".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel reg hose looks good.

I just removed the cat which on the outside looks like new but when you shake it you can hear the guts banging around inside as if the inside tube is completely separated. Not sure if that would cause a restriction but it has to replaced anyway so we will see what happens when new one is in.

I don't have a vacuum gage. If I can get one, where is a good place to take a read.

Thanks

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
The bad thing about a cat breaking up is that some of the media can travel back and cause a restriction in a muffler or pipe.

The vacuum gauge needs to be attached to a source of unported vacuum which is to the engine side of the throttle plates.

Try the new cat then see if you need to worry about the vacuum. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the cat and troubles are gone. Installed the magnaflow set up. Nice unit for less than $300. Not sure why the cat went as the car recently passed emissions testing with flying colors. Hopefully it was just tired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts