Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though my client's Interim Spider is a '62 it has a really vintage engine.

And I cannot find one place to install the flexible hose for the oil gauge. It has the tubes behind the head to vent.

Has any one here run into this problem? Since there is no oil in the engine it could be drilled and taped - but where to start to make sure you're getting an oil drainage opening. But in any event I'd hate to drill because of getting the chips in the opening.

All I can think of it using one of the rear plates on the head and drill and tap. Is there enough oil going through at the back to be able to get a reliable oil reading?

·
Administrator
4,147 Posts
On a 750/101 block the oil pressure pick up point is on a plinth just behind the RHS engine mounting

On a 105 block the oil pressure pick up point is on the plinth on the LHS at the back of the block just below the head

The drains at the back of the head are just free flow return oil from the oil that was pumped up to the cams, it has zero pressure in those return channels

Your question is really vague without actually giving us the engine number

Aye
Greig

·
Richard Jemison
7,985 Posts
There`s 2 on 105 blocks. As mentioned, there`s one on the left side below the headers where commonly found in later engines a low oil pressure switch. The other is on the right side at the top rear of the block .

·
Registered
780 Posts
I’m not near my laptop to draw graphics circles in order to better see the exact location under my headers, but you should be able to spot where my loose oil pressure line is attached with its banjo fitting and bolt to the block. Mine is a 101, so not sure if your so-called “early engine” is unique compared to this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greig, could you give me the word plinth in American? If it means something like bump and is near the RHS side, that would make for a very long flex hose. But there is no bump there. Nor is there an opening just below the upper right rear block, and as much as I can get my hands behind the headers on the left side appears to only have the engine mount behind them.

I'm only on my fourth and a half 750/101 Spider but there was never a problem finding the opening for the flex hose until now.

Perhaps I will wait until my client is feeling a lot better from coved to see if he remembers where it is located.

This is definitely not a 105 engine.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bingo!!! I've been hunting for it from underneath the car. But I was able to reach it just where your arrow was pointing. A slight problem the hose I have with the banjo along with the bent tube. The size of the opening of the banjo is 12mm. But it takes a ten mm hollow bolt. Fortunately I have a couple of bolts that fit. I got extra ones when I had another 10mm opening on the rear upper right opening of another Spider. I do have a small banjo, but with only a short length of tubing.

Fortunately there is a Hose-Man across town. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a hose that will work well. Last one they built for me had some incredible pressure the hose would handle along with the hose itself which would stand up for years to come. I prefer over done rather than just makes it.

Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts