Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our way home after a lovely day at the Hemmings lawn shop in Saratoga Springs I noticed the smell of gas and a very very sharp increase in fuel consumption.

Only about 20 miles from home, but had to put 10 gallons in or else we wouldn't have made it. At the station, i got under far enough to detect a spilt in the hose at (what I'm pretty sure is) the fuel return fitting under the tank. It dumped fuel only during engine operation, so my approach became to get her up to speed and shut the engine down on the downhills.

A friend driving behind me said he kept thinking of striking a match like the cartoons where Wyle Coyote or someone is running with a leaking fuel can and the flames catching up behind them…

Here's the view after getting her in the garage… A reasonably graceful failure if there ever was one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Brave man. Pulling into the garage like that. The whole house can go up in flames. Good luck with the repairs. I have had one of the hard pipes for the fuel get a rust hole and leaked like that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL - Brave or maybe just fresh idiocy (it was all dumping straight down at the fuel pump, away from exhaust, sparks or heat).
Brave man. Pulling into the garage like that. The whole house can go up in flames. Good luck with the repairs. I have had one of the hard pipes for the fuel get a rust hole and leaked like that.

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
italcarnut said:
Brave man. Pulling into the garage like that.
LOL - Brave or maybe just fresh idiocy (it was all dumping straight down at the fuel pump, away from exhaust, sparks or heat).
Right - it was no doubt quite safe while on the road. I think italcarnut's point was that once in the garage, gasoline fumes could accumulate and if there is a gas hot water heater in that garage, you have a source of ignition.

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
In industrial risk assessment it is usual to assume the the probability of an ignition source is 100% unless all the equipment in use is specifically designed to operate in an explosive atmosphere. That is because there have been many investigations of explosions that were unable to find the ignition source.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
A fancy way of saying get that car out of the garage and soak everything related to fuel and total undercarriage with a garden hose with a strong sprayer.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Looks pretty, but needs some maintance. Your gas lines are 30 years old! Not surprized.
Send your FE lines to OKI, well worth the money & change the rest of the rubber lines.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm draining the tank now. I siphoned 5 gallons out via the filler neck before it started sucking air. The rest is dribbling out slowly slowly via a cut I made in the rubber overflow return line, which is where the failure is. It occurred just forward of the fitting into the fuel tank (right next to the fuel feed fitting).

Otherwise, the steel supply and return lines appear in excellent condition. Not a speck of rust anywhere, very well cared for in its life as a track car.

Now that I can see the failure, it's nothing spectacular, but I'll have a good look at the rest. Already most of the flexible lines have been replaced with new braided stainless. Interestingly enough all the sharp framerail edges have been treated to stainless steel anti-chafe caps. Nice touch.

If my pics of the actual failed hose are good, I'll post some tomorrow.
Best,
- Art

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Had my feed hose break between the pump and the hard line under the rocker. Went about 1.5 miles on 5 gallons of gas (it did keep running). Of course it was 20°F outside and snowy too. One of those hate moments of the love-hate relationship.

Also had the same thing happen to my spider. Left a nice trail of fuel all the way down Pikes Peak. At least it was easy to fix!

Recommend replacing all rubber on any 80s Italian car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I replaced all my fuel lines with quality replacements from Greg Gordon for this very reason. I was surprised how brittle and cracked up my old lines were (especially under the rear axle area going to the fuel pump. It's a messy job but with the age of our cars something that's necessary. Glad you made it home safely!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of those hate moments of the love-hate relationship.
I'm sure you appreciated the Alfa getting you home though… I know I did. No hate.

Here is a pic of the "burst" fuel return line. This is as it came off the tank nipple. A slow failure. The car kept running and only in the last 5 minutes did she start showing signs of fuel starvation (from low pressure, no doubt).

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got her all fixed and tested on Wednesday - so I took her out for a 5 hour trip to enjoy the fall weather and colors around the Adirondacks.

A lovely day.
Cheers,
- Art

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
watch the deers!
You ain't kidding! (How did you know?)...

I saw one bolt across the road in front of a car some distance ahead of me today, barely missing the car. But I have learned a costly lesson: They rarely travel alone....

So, I slowed way down, well in advance and - sure enough - another bolted out and crossed in front of - and missed - me!
Cheers!
- Art

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lived in Rhinebeck NY and Hudson NY for 7 years; deer whistles do work if kept clean!
By the way, who owns the Taconic State Parkway ? ... WRONG ... Bamby does!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts