Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI: I am trying to locate serial numbers on a engine crankcase that i took out of a 67 duetto. I cannot locate anythin except two sets of three numbers (140) stamped at an angle on the pass side of the motor. ANyone know if there were aftermarket blocks for these cars? or am i missing the number. Are there measurements i can make to determine which motor that i have? thanks

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The engine number should on the rightside on the engine just aft of the distributor. You may need to clean the area a bit in order to see it. Later engines have the number on the leftside bellhousing flange behind the exhaust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. but....i have the crankcase on an engine stand and the thing is almost free of grease, i just dont see any numbers!????

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
can you show us a pic of the engine?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few pics. One of each side and a closer view where we expect the markings to be. Does anyone know where i can find the dimensions of 1600 engine cylinders vs 1750? I still need to determine which motor i have . thnks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
In your third picture, the engine number should be stamped on the flat protrusion above and forward of where the motor mount attaches. Just above the circular protrusion. That there is no number stamped means you have a factory-replacement block.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I have a 1600. The pistons and cyl liners are approx 78 mm dia. I checked the front of the head for the traditional markings and they are missing. I did find a hand written (using a diamond-type scibe) something about this engine was race prepped in 1972 by a name i cant make out witout more scrubbing. I am going to have to measure everyting to see what was machined or not for bearings etc. as this motor is odd.

thanks for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts