Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning all, yesterday while fixing the original horn i think i have messed up something with the fuel pump wiring at the fuse box:confused:. after completing the horn job successfully i was able to start the car and while test driving it, it died and wont start,
i have juice at the spark plug, but no fuel. so i check the fuel pump under the car and no power what so ever. i dont even hear it kick in like before. i also checked the fuse by the ECU and that is good. i do have one set of wire which i dont know where it goes but the car started without being connected.

i do have the circuit diagram but cant locate the wire at G73 module. i dont even know where G73 is located. here is the picture of the loose wire. thanks all..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Do you have power at the fuel pump connection? Check with a test light at the connection. This will at least tell you whether the problem lies with pump or elsewhere.

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
That looks like a red wire with a black tracer. That should be for the interior lights/light timer circuit.

Does your car still have the original 'bullet' style fuse for the fuel pump? If so replace it. These fuses are known to look OK but somehow they fail to pass electrons. In fact, it'd be better to replace the whole fuse holder and use a modern blade type fuse.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What year is your car? The earlier L-Jets still had the pesky inertia switches for the fuel pumps. If yours has one, it is a gray cylindrical object likely mounted on the firewall next to the windshield washer fluid reservoir. Here's a picture, sans reservoir. Insure the top of the switch is down and therefore the switch is closed to power the pumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G73

Anybody aware of the location of G73 connector or what it looks like? I know it says behind the fuse box but where?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
From memory, it is behind and to the far left (facing the front of the car) of the fuse box. It is near the warning chimes for lights on and the ignition key in the switch. I find access difficult in the '88. You may have to loosen some interior trim to move the top of the side carpet out of the way.

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
I am not the Spider L-Jet expert but I think that the fuel pump is powered when the starter is turning or when the engine is running. It is not energized just by turning on the ignition.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
correction to my earlier findings: when trying to start I do get about 10 volts on the pump. So I guess it's the pump. Will take it out and do a test on it but not sure how! :)

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
You can try connecting a fused wire directly from the battery (or another source) to the positive terminal on the pump. If the pump still does not function, the pump is faulty for sure. Also make sure the pump is properly grounded.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
A couple of additional thoughts. First, confirm your pump is functional as suggested above. After that, you should see battery voltage at the pump. If you don't, places to check are the junction box in the engine compartment, the connector between the red/white wire and pink wire under the windshield washer reservoir, the G73 connector, the connection at the in-tank pump, and the connection at the main pump.

Ed's right, the pumps will not run continuously with the key on-engine off. They should run for about a second when the key is initially moved to the on position though.

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
Note the GTV6 system (as described in the above thread) has a microswitch in the AFM to power on the fuel pump. The Spider does not. The Spider has a drive relay triggered by a tachymetric signal from the coil - when the engine is running the tachymetric signal 'tells' the drive relay to send power to the Spider's fuel pumps. The Spider also has a drive relay bypass circuit to power on the fuel pumps when the key is turned to 'start'.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pump works!

Took the pump out tonight and connected directly to battery and started working. I am not sure if it was stuck or not. Will install it back tomorrow to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
Took the pump out tonight and connected directly to battery and started working. I am not sure if it was stuck or not. Will install it back tomorrow to see what happens.
I had a spate of jammed pumps due to scale in the gas tank. The clearances inside these pumps are tight and it does not take much for them to lock up. I "fixed" one by soaking the internals with WD40 for a day or two.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts