Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a guy with his 1983 Alfa Spider. He has had several people look at this vehicle and they have moved wires and changed things around. When I first started helping him the vehicle had no ignition fire, no fuel pump run and no injection pulse. I found a few loose connections and swapped wires. The fuel pump now works and we have ignition spark. I just cannot get the injectors to pulse. Somehow the injectors have battery voltage on both terminals even with key off. There are 2 relays back by the ecu's. The smaller 5 pin relay has b+ at term 30, 87 and 87a when plugged in. The relay is fine, it activates when the key is switched on. What I think is happening is the voltage is being backfed somewhere. I have tried finding a wiring diagram for the injection system for this vehicle, but cannot find anything. If I had a wiring diagram I could figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
1) send BB member Papajam a PM and request copies of his color-coded wire diagrams for this model Alfa. Include your email address. He'll send some .pdf files that will make it easy to sort out where the wires should go.

B) preuse the link in my signature to a page of info about the Spider's L-jet system.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Diagrams are on the way.
If you don't have an extra dual 87 output relay, you can borrow the horn relay.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Make sure the wires on the coil are in the correct place. There is a wire to send a signal to the computer to tell it to fire the injectors. It should be on the negative side of the coil. I'm pretty sure its a white colored one it also might have a stripe in it. I had an 86 that people had messed around with. They change the coil and got that wire on the postive side of the coil. It had everything but injector pulse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have ordered a relay with 2 87 pins. After looking at the wiring diagram I am confident that is my main issue. Concerning the coil wires, you are correct, I actually found that issue a few days ago.I couldn't find a wiring diagram, but found a few pictures that showed me the correct hook up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The relay did the trick, I now have injection pulse. Still won't start though, due to fuel system issues. I removed the in tank pump only to find someone had removed it and replaced it with piece of hose (that was swollen to 3 times its size) AND they wrapped the end of it with panty hose. Why do people do crazy stuff like this? So, now we are on the quest to get a fuel pump and sending unit. The fuel filter has also been replaced by a Ford inline filter. I am sure after 10 years of sitting the injectors are clogged too. Thanks for all your help. I hope once we get the fuel system back to factory it will start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts