Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Minor set back from loaning my daughter Black Beauty while I fixed her Quik Silver.

She took car to Panera Bread for breakfast on a windy day and one of their outdoor tables was blown up onto the hood.

She got little upset about it and they had their insurance agent call us. Adjustor coming out next week to look at it.

Really looks worse in these pictures that it really is. Three dents in center area and scraped clear coat on right side.

I think a good "dent king" can take dents out and some fine compounding work can remove scrapes.

I was amazed at how calm I was when she told me as she was pretty worried about how I would take it. I must be mellowing out in my old age. Life will go on.

We are lucky it could have taken out the windshield I guess and that would have upset me.

I have another black hood from Old Nero the donor I may just get repainted if it comes to that as it is dent free.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now steve, how much do windsheilds run??

Glad to hear its only body damage, that can usually be fixed without much issue.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Reminds me when I borrowed mine to my brother. He got some police officer attention going out of a tunnel.

As he told me, he wanted to know how good it sounded on second gear with full boost, so he rolled down the window and welded his foot to the floor.

Coming out of the tunnel, he saw three very confused police officers and one ordered him to pull over. He did, and the officer came asking if there was something wrong with the car, as they could hear this roar but, looking down the tunnel, they couldn't figure out what was doing it. Then he told them he'd borrowed the car and it had a pipe leaking air. I guess driving a modern classic wearing a suit just makes their attitude a little different than what it would be if it was some ricer making all that "noise".

I did have a good laugh when he told me.

·
Premium Member
27,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now steve, how much do windsheilds run??

Glad to hear its only body damage, that can usually be fixed without much issue.
Richard in MA has good prices on aftermarket windshields plus freight BUT if you need the trim pieces good luck. L/H piece is very hard to find.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
She took car to Panera Bread for breakfast on a windy day and one of their outdoor tables was blown up onto the hood.

She got little upset about it and they had their insurance agent call us. Adjustor coming out next week to look at it.
It's unfortunate, particularly as that's your tidiest 164 from memory, but sometimes genuine accidents just happen. With all the care in the world it's hard to predict what's coming next. I'm glad you were able to get over it and sure this won't be too hard to remedy, as you said. Black paint always makes dents look so much worse.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
27,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Adjustor came out today and decided that $451 will fix it. So when the check arrives we will see. He was a car hobby guy,too.

Condition of Black Beauty impressed him as did my White B model.

Had to give my daughter BB again tonight as her 164B smoked the left rear brake. Guess I will check another brake hose for restriction as brake is binding. Brake was a stinker but when we got to car is was not binding and I was able to drive it about 7 miles wihout out smoking brake pads again. Maybe I will just change the other 3 so car have all new hoses and be done with it.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
The best brakes I ever had on a 164 was when I did the whole job...rotors, calipers, pads and hoses all within a couple of months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts