Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my 164 to the inspection station last month when it died and would not start for me. I towed it home, and took a look.

1. The plugs are getting spark, I checked by unplugging one sticking a screw driver in the wire and watching it spark onto the valve covers.

2. I then sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the engine would start and run for as long as I kept spraying a little bit.

3. I disconnected a fuel line to the injectors so I can check for any fuel flowing to the injectors. Lines are dry

4. I jumped pin 30 to 87 on both of the relays on the top of the radiator support next to the coil. No change.

5. I pulled the carpet in the trunk and jumpered the fuel pump. I can hear the pump run while jumped, but no fuel is flowing to the injectors.

6. Replaced fuel pump connector, pump is not running with key in on, or key in start.

Anyone have the next step?

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Trunk diving time. Remove bottom carpet and front wall carpet and pull tank cover and pump assembly. Then depending on VIN replace one or two short hoses above pump with SAE30R10 submersible fuel hose.

Plan on also replacing rubber pump mount and if possible dampening rubber mat under fuel pump basket.

See these posts for more info:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...4-12v-usa-model-fuel-pump-steel-gas-tank.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...64-12v-steel-fuel-tank-internal-plumbing.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that doesn't explain why the pump doesn't sound like its running in key on or starter on. That said I pulled the whole thing (WHICH REALLY SUCKED CAUSE A WHOLE BOTTLE OF USED OIL SPILLED IN THE TRUNK!!! EEEEWWWW)

In the course of pulling the pump I accidentally broke the negative wire from the pump to the cover (I guess I'll have to solder it tomorrow). Long story short, I pulled just the metal pump out and tested it in a bucket of gasoline. It buzzes like it should be pumping something, but it doesn't pump anything. Looks like I need to find a cheap replacement that will fit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I am looking for a budget pump now. Airtex lists pump e8258 for a 164 and oreilys lists e8258 for a 1998 crown vic. Soooooo I think I might try to find one in a junk yard. Any other fuel pump suggestions? I find it painfull to spend 160+ for a car that's not worth $1000.

·
Premium Member
16,270 Posts
You sure it's not just the short piece(s) of hose in the pump that is (are) defective? That is the usual problem when the pump won't pump fuel. I think that every person who owns or has owned a 164 has had this problem, or surely will.

The OEM hose material used everywhere in the 164 for carrying gasoline was not up to par. It disintegrates with time, and everyone should have by this time have replaced it pretty much everywhere, esp at the fuel pump and the lines attached to the injector fuel rails. Good way to get a fire, that stuff at the rails. It also might be possible that the US e90 (10% ethanol) fuel has caused the hose to fail. Bu,t nevertheless, it must be changed in all the 164's.

Reread Steve's comments and attachments.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it not jus the lines, I removed the pump (bosch 0 580 464 990) took all the lines off and submerged the bottom of the pump in a bucket of gasoline then ran the pump. The pump buzzed but did not pump any fuel. This was with no lines attached. Unless the hose on the top of the pump is the inlet and the fuel is pumped out the bottom the pump itsel is not woking.

As far as I can tell

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
You may need a new pump but first get it out of basket and filter basket and see if rubber mounting bushing has deteriorated and if pump doesn't have a pre-filter fine mesh cap on it I bet a piece of rubber is jammed in roller bearing vane in bottom of pump.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strainer is gone, I took it out of the basket yesterday and noticed that. I thought maybe the basket WAS the strainer but now I can see. If its got rubber jammed in it can it be taken apart? Otherwise, I'm heading to the pick n pull tomorrow morning to find a suitable replacement. I'm gonna try a crown vic first. Even though its now a smaller pump since they don't seem to make the e8258 any more (which is why I think its so much). I got tons of time, but no money.

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Strainer (prefilter) only on later pumps - production change starting with VIN 6246085 probably late 91 models and onward.

1991 all ZAR164000*06215000 - ZAR164000*06253900

PM me if you can't get a pick-n-pull pump set up. You need to use correct parts if possible.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hope you never break a mirror. I've been asked 230€ for a new rearview mirror. I hope insurance company pays for some of it...

I remember finding some "auxiliary" fuel pumps you could mount outside a tank back when I was involved in the biodiesel and SVO community. If you can't find a pump for any price, I'd have a go at this (note these pumps might not be self-priming, and might have insufficient or excessive flow or draw too much power).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts