Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need your help gentlemen. I have a 91 164L 3.0. It wont start. I left it sitting for a couple of weeks. When I turn the key there are no lights. The starter works good but wont start.
Where should i start? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,006 Posts
If you don't have power to instrument cluster or headlights but starter works you may have a bad ignition switch contacts to power dash and fuel injection system.

With key on test for 12v at green black wire at coil to see if ignition switch is the problem.

Here are some tests that may help once you have power back.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1247761-post7.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked green black wire at coil with key on. No power.I will try to replace the ignition switch and see if that works.

Thanks Steve!

·
Premium Member
27,006 Posts
I just checked green black wire at coil with key on. No power.I will try to replace the ignition switch and see if that works.

Thanks Steve!
Since ignition switch will make starter work, troubleshoot wiring connector to switch first. Open fuse panel door under dash. Locate 4-wire connector to right of steering column. If not corroded jumper from chassis end of connector 12v red wire to both brown wire for engine ECU (also goes to green-black wire for coil) and also to pink wire for dash and see if dash lights come alive and car will start.

Report your findings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I jumped red wire from white part of connector to brown and pink wire from black part of connector. Still no lights.

·
Premium Member
27,006 Posts
I jumped red wire from white part of connector to brown and pink wire from black part of connector. Still no lights.
Leave white and black connectors together, Jump red wire in chassis harness Black connector to Brown wire. Will car now start?

Jump red wire in black connector to pink-white wire will lights/dash light up?

·
Premium Member
27,006 Posts
still no start and no lights
Well, did jumpering red to brown get you power to green-black wire at coil?

And what do you mean by lights - icon lights on dash, headlights or what?

You have to speak (write) from just general terms to be more specfic in your reports.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jumped red wire to brown wire and still no power to green black wire at coil.

Jumped red wire in black connector to pink-white wire and still no lights in dash.

·
Premium Member
27,006 Posts
Jumped red wire to brown wire and still no power to green black wire at coil.

Jumped red wire in black connector to pink-white wire and still no lights in dash.
This is a bit hard to believe if with white and black connectors hooked together turning key on to start makes starter still work.

You are doing jumpering of red to brown on the end of black connector on chassis side of harness?

The next connector to check would be G154 small round connector behind false fire wall in back of engine compartment at base of windshield. It has coil wire and engine fuel injection power wires. the starter wire is in much bigger round G151 connector in same place.

Try unhooking small G154 connector and rehooking it up and recheck green-blk wire at coil with key on and/or red to brown wire back at black to white connector.

Also check engine sevices F22 fuse in main fuse box bottom row fuse 20 second from left. Fuse supplies with key on to fuel injection system but not to coil as no fuse for coil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I have power to green black wire at coil. Checked the F22 fuse it is good. I still don't have dash lights and car still will not start. I tried to jump the fuel pump and I don't hear the pump working. Maybe the computer is fried?

·
Premium Member
27,006 Posts
Now I have power to green black wire at coil. Checked the F22 fuse it is good. I still don't have dash lights and car still will not start. I tried to jump the fuel pump and I don't hear the pump working. Maybe the computer is fried?
Jumping fuel pump relay socket 30 pin pink wire to 97 pink-white wires with key on will send power to fuel pump if pink wire has 12v in it. This is bypassing computer circuit that triggers pump relay on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts