Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,263 Posts
Bleed at the master. Fill the reservoir and crack open the three line fittings (just loosen until the tube is loose, no need to remove them fully). When you get steady fluid out off each one, close it up. Then you should be able to bleed at the wheels.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,263 Posts
I've never had to. I just leave them open until I get fluid out with the pedal up.

Once that's done you can gravity bleed to make your life easier. Just open the bleeders at the wheels and let it sit until you're getting fluid out of them, then close. Keep the reservoir filled while you do this. This'll fill the lines and make the final bleed with the pedal faster and easier.

Honestly a Motive pressure bleeder makes the job infinitely easier and I'd recommend one if you plan on doing this again.

Reactions: Asheahan01

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,263 Posts
I’ve found that, when I get stuck, if I walk away and come back to it later or the next day, things usually go much better.

I’m pretty certain you’ve just got air in the MC. LF wheel feeds from the bottom of the MC so that’s why that one is getting fluid. Just loosen the other two and let them self bleed, then gravity bleed for a bit and it should all start magically working.

Reactions: Asheahan01

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,263 Posts
Yes, just open the ports and don't push the pedal: make sure it is all the way up. No need to jack up that side: if you look at the MC you'll see that the side ports connect to the top center of the cylinder bore. The air will come out fine with the car level. Then let it gravity bleed a bit to fill the lines to the calipers.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,263 Posts
Okay, that's weird. So what exactly happened: you opened the ports on the master with a full reservoir and no fluid came out? Or fluid came out at the master but you're still not getting any to the wheels?

Is it possible your booster pin is misadjusted? If that's too long it could be pushing on the MC piston to the point where the openings to the reservoir are blocked. Usually you can just swap the MC without having to adjust that, but maybe the new MC is made differently?

Long shot but I don't really have any other brilliant ideas. Maybe loosen the MC at the booster, pull it slightly away, and see if that makes a difference?

I bleed it and reattach the brake lines, how will I get fluid into the return line? Won’t it just re-introduce air into the system if I attach it without fluid inside?
Not sure what you mean by "return line"? There isn't a return line, there's just the three brake lines: one for each front wheel and one serving both rear wheels.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,263 Posts
That doesn't seem right at all. Pull the MC away from the booster, see if you get flow.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,263 Posts
Something just seems very weird. With the piston fully to the rear you should have straight flow from the reservoir into the cylinder then to the outlets. If you pull vacuum at that rear port can you get fluid?

At this point I'm thinking you might have a bad MC. It wouldn't be the first time, dude a couple weeks ago got a new caliper where they hadn't drilled the bleeder hole fully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts