Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are 2 drains behind the false fire wall if I remember right. Best to keep them both clean:)

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I'll say that the area wasn't -wet- but it did have some debris there. Simply not holding the relay upright and letting it get wet is bad. The relay housing isn't sealed, and the cover will leak at the bottom. If your relay is lying on its side (guaranteed if it isn't mounted on the firewall) then when it gets wet, water will wick into the workings of the relay and rust things eventually. The replacement relay I pulled from a '91 car was still mounted on the firewall and was pristine inside. My son had called our local parts supplier and asked about availability of replacement relays while I was searching for this one, and the parts house couldn't find a replacement. Possibly due to indexing problems, possibly due to NLA.

Michael

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi. I have a similar break light issue. Except my deck brake light works. The brake lights on the driver and passenger side do not work however the middle brake light on the deck still works. I've pulled and clean the relay on the driver's side by the 40 amp fuse but still more brake lights. (Except 1) any suggestions. ?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Maybe wrong relay. If you pulled cream colored 40A relay close to 40A fuse bar that is for a/c heater blower motor. Brake relay is smaller and closer to blower motor. If not attached to back of false firewall, the mounting tab may have broken off and relay has fallen down below blower motor housing.
I don't think center rear brake light get its power from brake light relay I think it gets power from other set of contacts in brake pedal switch.
Another thing that controls rear brake lights in fenders is the rear light control unit under glove box and mounted to passenger well foot light.

Don't quote me, I am in a motel in GA and away from my wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That control unit often fails. Usually the left side fails first. Bad solder joints is the suspect. Symptom of one side failure is dash lights for failed brake light and left indicator operates at double speed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe wrong relay. If you pulled cream colored 40A relay close to 40A fuse bar that is for a/c heater blower motor. Brake relay is smaller and closer to blower motor. If not attached to back of false firewall, the mounting tab may have broken off and relay has fallen down below blower motor housing.
I don't think center rear brake light get its power from brake light relay I think it gets power from other set of contacts in brake pedal switch.
Another thing that controls rear brake lights in fenders is the rear light control unit under glove box and mounted to passenger well foot light.

Don't quote me, I am in a motel in GA and away from my wiring diagrams.
Thank you Steve. I'll give it another go later tonight.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Correction to what I said above about center brake light being powered directly from brake light switch. Since your center brake light is working the I69 brake light relay relay has to be working and powering N22 ARCU which then powers both the center brake light directly and then also the N44 rear lamps control unit which then powers the rear taillights brake lights. N44 unit mounted under passenger side dash with two phillips screws that hold footwell floor light under glove box area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok. So you think it's the N44 unit. To remove N44 I need to unscrew the floor light which also holds N44. That right?

Thanks for all the help Steve.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Yep.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts