Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well?

We could sit around and continue to glorify our ageing cars. Have big debates on which was the last 'true' Alfa. Continue to put non-originali parts into said cars because the originali parts are no longer easily available (i.e. both in availability and cost) ...

I'm sure most of us will end up, if not already, buy other makes and models. But why did you pick what you picked? Post pics, and why you felt it met your needs (whatever those may be!)

As for me, I haven't done so yet but Audis are starting to look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Audi!

Audi's are sweet! Ride smooth (even lowerd), when the doors shut you feel like youre on a train, all you can here is chick chick through the streets gaps/cracks. Very well designed interior! Lots of good things and a few bad things.

Remember the Audi 5000?? The 5000 was beutiful, the climate control, many nice features, but very unreliable from engine, Vaccum system, tranny and electronics. Few newer Audi's sucked to, from the dealership showroom were nice till about half a year later one problem leading into another. Around 1999 thats when I started to see improvements. Now they got the new A4 body style which dropped 2002. They come in 1.8T and 3.0's AWD or CVT (continus or continual variable transmission) which only comes in front wheel drive. Great cars. The 1.8t personally think is a mod car and the 3.0 is the chiller maybe if you want you can throw in a chip (adds 10 horse) exhaust and different air filter. The turbo is sluggy stock I think my gtv would stick even with it on acceleration on the freeway, inless you chip it which is roughly an extra 30 horse!!!

Oh yeah I think Audi should put more power in there engines for how heavy they are!! I'v tested every Audi, I use to work for a dealership detailing and delivering them. Trust me I put those suckers to there limits! Done many canyon runs mostly with A4's, few S4's and S6's! Never got to actually take the S8 out on a good run. Great and Fun cars!!!

My 2 cents!

·
Registered
125 Posts
From the looks of it, the new S4 is a really nice vehicle! Even though they dropped the TT 3.0L V6, the new V8 engine in that car is suppost to be a rocketship!

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
nizam said:
I'm sure most of us will end up, if not already, buy other makes and models. But why did you pick what you picked? Post pics, and why you felt it met your needs (whatever those may be!)
This is what I'm currently driving around. I't was originaly a prety beat up '78 Porsche 911. I've been fixing and updating the car for the last 2 years. I've redone the paint, fiberglass, and esential motor parts mostly. My bigest gripe is that all of the parts are readily available but are all very expensive. It's a very fun car but she might have to go soon since I've been out of work for sometime now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Re: No Alfas for USA for another half decade, what next?

Smestas,
Is that the stock bumper??

It looks really nice - the paint job, the color, and the mag wheels.

First gen 911 (even 912) and 356 are my favorite porsches. :D

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Re: Re: Re: No Alfas for USA for another half decade, what next?

alfa_chan said:
Is that the stock bumper??
No its an aftermarket fiberglass bumper. It's shaped more after a '90-'94 model bumper. The original was heavy and not visualy what I liked. All of the front bumper lighting is OEM.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about this one? Soon to be released in the US market, to go head to head with the Subaru STI ... pretty basic car, lots of power and relatively light by modern standards.

Yeah, it's "JapCrap" (to quote another board) but you just cannot ignore its technical prowess.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
My wife used to have an Audi for her daily driver, last year we replaced it with a WRX. While the WRX is a really nice car for what we use it for (snowboarding, doggie hauling, parts hauling) and an excellent value for the money, I do miss the "quality" feel of the Audi, especially the interior and fit and finish details, and the understated styling. They are great cars.

Alfa Content: I did buy my WRX from AlfaBill!

·
Registered
125 Posts
nizam said:
relatively light by modern standards.
the US Spec EvoVIII is NOT a light car, they had to use alot more strenghening material for the lancer-cedia so it would pass DOT crash test standards. its nearly 3300 pounds!!!!

Besides the new US spec WRX STi is a best version in the world, for the first time the japanese did not get the best spec. Im so happy subaru went with a 2.5L, imagine all the low end torque and hard pulling top speed a car like that could get + DCCD and the 6-Speed gearbox. If its under $33,000 Ill buy one!

Untill the Evo Ralli/////Art comes out, the WRX STi is probably the best car for its price.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed, it's not a light car empirically.

However, the three popular / pop-culture consumer AWD cars are:

WRX 3100lbs (~$20-25K)
Evo VIII 3300lbs (~$30-33K)
Audi S4 3600lbs (~$40-45K)

From a weight/price standpoint, the Scooby has the bang for the buck. The Audi S4 is the heaviest, but is also the most luxurious and most expensive.

Worse, I would buy one of those only because I HAVE to, not because I want one.

Wish we still had new Alfas here in the US. Groan.

·
Registered
125 Posts
nizam said:

Evo VIII 3300lbs (~$30-33K)
actually MMC set the MSRP at $28,967. Its still a pig though.
WRX is $24,545. But from what im hearing from MMC the Evo is a HUMONGO high maintenence car and even putting a sticker on it can void your entire warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
alfa's coming to the usa

just wait, they will be here soon. i was watching the italian channel news tonight and they say that ferrari is looking to take over the alfa's which will mean that they will be sold at ferrari and maserati dealers. this could be good because (1) alfa's will be entry level cars to the maser's and ferrari's and (2) being that the cars will be sold at maserato and ferrari dealers, our cars could go up in value.

oh yeah... the news also mentioned strong interest from audi...all wheel drive alfa does sound good.

more later...
anthony

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
There are many possible scenarios being discussed right now for Alfa and FIAT's future. The story seems to change weekly. I would agree that the scenario of Alfa being absorbed into Gruppo Maserati Ferrari would be best from an Alfa lover's point of view.

The only problem with that schenario is that it essentially signs a death sentence for FIAT Auto...

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
alfa's future

true, right now alfa is the one holding fiat together but look at it this way...alfa goes down with fiat or alfa seperates and tries to build itself up. the news also has been mentioning that gm wishes they never got involved. i wish ford would have bought them instead. they did a good job turning volvo and jaguar around. thoughts anyone?
anthony

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: alfa's coming to the usa

italcarguy said:
i was watching the italian channel news tonight and they say that ferrari is looking to take over the alfa's which will mean that they will be sold at ferrari and maserati dealers.
It would be really interesting to see Ferrari takes control of Alfa Romeo. What would Enzo Ferrari think if he was still alive...

I'm kinda worried about VAG takes control of Alfa... would 147 become a Golf based front heavy hatch, and a 156 would become a... don't even want to think about it. Just look at what FIAT did to the 146 and 155 when they have to share their chassis.

VAG has positioned their SEAT to be the rival to Alfa, and their SEATs are actually better driving machine than their Audi equivalent. Seat Leon Cupra R looks really good in paper... and the Salsa (concept) based next gen Leon would be even more tempting.

But AWD drive GTA (A???? is it light anymore with AWD??) sounds really really good...

If Ferrari is going to take over Alfa, I better get several GTVs now before their prices go way up... but does Ferrari have the financial resource to do that?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Re: Re: alfa's coming to the usa

alfa_chan said:
... but does Ferrari have the financial resource to do that?
it's ferrari, i am sure they will find a way whether its them, a private investor, or even the italian government.

a friend of my family works for fiat in sicily and said its bad right now. from working 5 days a week with overtime, they work one week and have one week off while another shift works the week they have off and rest while they work. they barely making a full days work...sad
anthony

·
Registered
230 Posts
From Top Gear:

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/meet_alfa/02/

"The 157 will be available with both 2WD and 4WD, and will be powered by 2.8- and 3.2-litre versions of GM's all-alloy V6, though the engine will be fettled by Alfa people. The next GTAs will either be turbocharged, or use a 3.6-litre version of the engine to churn out 300bhp. "

Pretty bad indead Anthony "In December 2002 8,100 workers were laid off and an Alfa factory at Arese has had to close, moving production to a more efficient plant in Turin."

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
anthony, i agree with u, most likely alfa romeo will end up with "il super gruppo Ferrari- Maserati- Alfa romeo, alfa romeo is to loved and appreciated in italy and all over europe to go down with volks or ford

i hope they stay italian, look wat happened to the new lambo gallardo??????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts