Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd just post a few pics of my new HPI RS4 MT2 18ss. For those of you who don't know much about the subject, this is a nitro fueled remote controlled car which should be capable for speeds of up to 75 km/h, peak HP is at 1.5 hp from its .18 cubic inch sized engine. This was a kit so I had to assemble every component of the car, except the engine which comes assembled. The kits are much more fun than buying a ready to run model as the building process is half the fun of owning one of these cars. The body comes unpainted so you can choose any colour combination you like, I just bought an air brush a chose a simple design which I am happy with (First time I have ever used an airbrush. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Lets see, all wheel drive, triple differentials, four wheel independent A-arm suspension with adjustable coil overs... Why can't Alfa built a car like that? Very cool, and I like the paint job.

Greg

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
soooooo im not the only nitro nut around eh?

got a pare of BB(.26 and .30) revo's a nitro boat , 3.3jato 3.3 rusty. and a large pile of electrics dateing back to hog hevan and original rc-10's and a hawk

gotta ask tho...you bash or race?....mud, dirt, snow, asphalt?

btw if you need any RC know how or just need to BS about RC..go hit up www.rccna.com ...great wealth of know how

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, It should be a screamer compared to my old Tamiya XBG. I have only had this running on blocks as the kit was missing the linkage that connects the steering servo to the front wheels. It has had about 6 tanks of fuel run through it (super rich as it is being run in) You don't have to run that many tanks through it before you can start to drive it but I don't have a choice. Hopefully the steering servo linkage will arrive tommorrow.

Greg, good eye for detail but I'm not sure that I would call the centre diff a "diff." I think it's called a centre layshaft. Basically it is a spur gear with a slipper clutch which sends drive to the front and rear diffs. I recently read an article that talks about a company that has developed a centre diff for 1/10th scale models so they are about. Basically my set up should have 50/50 drive to each diff which will then proportion the power to the left and right wheels, as far as I can gather.

sh0rtlife, I will only use this for bashing as there are no rc tracks that I can think of where I live. As this is a all wheel drive stadium truck I don't think there is a class to accept them, even though HPI call it a MT-2 (Monster Truck 2). You have a nice little collection happening there though. I've always wanted a boat but don't have anywhere easily accesable to drive it.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
ive got a family get-together at a manmade lake(fairly small) that gives me a chance to run both my electric and nitro boats

this your first nitro?....even a slipper clutch is still a diff any way you look at it..its more of a presureplate design of sorts....as for my collection ...well thats just the tip of it lol but most of my stuff is from the early 90s when i raced pan cars

heres my winter fun

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool pics, thats a real mud slinger. What type of MT is that?

This is my 2nd nitro, 3rd if you count the nitro plane which I bought before the cars. The nitro planes are what got me into the hobby but I switched to cars as I'm a car nut (like all alfa owners on this board) so I bought a Tamiya Xpert Built Gas (XBG) 1/10th scale on road car. It was ready - to - run so I never got the pleasure of building it, but the fact that I could start it up and drive it up and down the street was a real plus compared to driving out to the local air strip to fly the plane. This is only the start of my interest in the hobby as there are plenty more kits to build out there. I would at least want to build a buggy, Monster Truck and a quick on road car but knowing me I will end up building a handful of each. Then there are all the mods and engines you can get for these things, it's unreal. There is actually a company that builds superchargers and Nitrous oxcide kits for rc cars (I don't think they could work very well on a two stroke with no valves but it's still cool)

Here are some pics of the superchargers and NOS kits.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
the n20 does work but turns the mill into a time bomb and life expectance goes to the quarts not galons LOL...the SC is a show item and doesnt actualy help the go...no valves to get compresion from it

my mud truck...my sts30 revo and my wifes .26max revo...RTR are ok..hell both the revos "were" RTR's but have been down to the bone and upgraded several times..not much stock left on my truck putting out around 3+ hp....ive got a few vids up on youtube

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think you would really notice any difference the the n20? These motors already have super quick acceleration? I guess it would work because I've seen people with nitrous kits on there little 100 cc scooters.

3hp is a fair bit, it would be wheelstanding on demand with that sort of power, what are your youtube videos named?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
my user name there is sh0rtlife just like here(or try looking for mission failed and sts30 revo) ..yeah the sts30 is a hand full and wheelstands in the mud even..wifes lil 2hp 26 is pretty nasty as well(btw the 0 is a ZERO not a o)

the issue with running n2o on ANY engine is the fact that you have to boost the fuel to keep the engine from going boom......wich is ALWAYS done by adding fuel presure, being that nitro RC's run no fuel pump and get there presure from exhaust gas flow they CANNOT compensate for the needed fuel boost of n2o in turn heavily shortening the engine life span.....so instead of getting 3-8 gallons out of an engine you might get at topps 1-2 gallons useing the n2o

on a side note im working on walking on water with my revo..NO FLOATING actualy walking like the formula 4x's do

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
been there done that...but will admit brushless electrics are a HUGE improvement over the old electrics....but one cant argue with the sound and smell of nitro....ive still got my electrics and bring em out every now and again

·
Registered
936 Posts
been there done that...
thats what i always say about nitro :rolleyes:

but one cant argue with the sound and smell of nitro....
right . . . they're loud and stinky !! :p

of course, i'm just messin' with you guys . . . all R/C is fun ;)
fuelies are just too much of a hassle for my tastes . . .

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey darth, electric is cool but reminds me to much of the rc cars I used to drive when I was 10 years old. The reason why I prefer nitro cars are because they have an actual engine. Would you prefer to drive an electic alfa instead of a petrol powered one, I would say no. The reason why I like rc cars is because I'm a car nut and a nitro engine in a 1/10th scale rc car is the closest thing you can come to a real car. I'll admit they are very messy and can be a pain in the arse sometimes but that keeps it challenging.

One of the biggest advantages of having nitro is that for the whole time your car has fuel in it, it has the same amount of power as it did when you first started driving it. With electric you can notice the power decreasing slowly as the batteries decharge. That really bugs me so nitro is perfect as you just refill and go, as long as the radio gear is charged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts