Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, if I had a car with any personality, I tried to give it a name that matched. If it was a totally blah car, then it didn't deserve a name. If it turned out to be a horrible car, I tried to give it one it deserved also. Sometimes it was just whatever seemed fun at the time. 'Otis the Lotus' was one of those (Lotus Europa).

My first ALFA was a 1979 Alfetta Coupe (Mario Andretti Special Edition). Right out of design school, and been jonesing for one for awhile. Had to sell my Chevy van, Norton 850 Commando, and Ducati 450 R/T to afford it.

Since it was an ALFA, the first name that came to mind was 'Alfalfa'... from the Little Rascals. Later I got my first GTV6 (silver 1983), and out of respect for Alfalfa (rest his soul) I couldn't call this one Alfalfa as well. So, the second one became Buckwheat... staying withe the Little Rascals theme. The next was Farina, then Stymie, Darla, Remarkable, Butch, Petey, and Spanky. Again, all from Our Gang/ Little Rascals. My ongoing project that should deliver my ultimate GTV6 (if my patience holds out) will likely be my last of the breed. So, I had to think long and hard about which Little Rascal name ended up on this one. Probably no other chances after that...

I finally decided on 'Uh-huh'.

Got any names that you have used on your ALFAs over the years? Post 'em here.

·
Premium Member
27,323 Posts
My black 164L is Black Beauty aka BB.
My white 164B one owner is known as Originale, Bianco and sometimes Alfalfa after LR Alfalfa, too.
My Blue Beater 164L is Old Blue.
Our daughter's silver 164B is known as QS1 aka Quik AG (silver). Her BF's 164L is QS2.
Old Nero the donor now just a memory in that junk yard in the sky.
We have had Rosso I, II AND III NOW ALL GONE.
Our sold 81 Spider being Bronze metallic just like our "red" mini daschund was Jenna II.

·
Registered
403 Posts
the first name that came to mind was 'Alfalfa'...
That was the name of my first Alfa too! My Alfalfa was a '78 Spider Veloce, metallic bronze with the optional rust package (actually, it was standard on the East Coast).

My second, and latest, Alfa is named Bella.

I've named my cars from the beginning, and I've also taken the liberty to name the cars of family members for the last few years. So far we've had: Suzanne the Saab, King Salbert the Saab, Clara the Mercedes-Benz, Dietrich the BMW, Michelle the Miata, Blair the Spitfire, Quentin the Audi, Chester the Town Car, Lucille the Mitsubishi, and Josephine the Volkswagen.

·
Premium Member
27,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just remembered... a former girlfriend had an AWD Subaru wagon that was so rusted out that we had an office pool to bet on who might be sitting in the driver's seat when the floor boards finally let go... and the car passed over the driver's head.

This one got named 'Christine'... after the Stephen King killer car, of course!

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
We like to keep things simple.

The Spider is called the Spider.
The white GTV is called the white GTV.
The 68 (GTV) is called the 68.
The truck is called the truck,
and the wife's ride is called the Broom.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Jim -
shame on you!!! I KNOW you have more originality than that!!

I think automobiles are almost always feminine, by nature....high maintenance, and they love to be stroked. :D;)

My first Alfa (87 Spider) never exhibited enough personality traits to allow me to coin a name for her. (I shyly called her "the Spider":eek:)

The current Spider is "Mia", as in Missing-In-Action, as she was the first ALFA in the garage after a four-year hiatus, though I remained very active in AROC and NWARC activities.

The Zagato is "Zach", out of respect for a very good friend and first class Alfista who died too young as a result of a drunk driver. The first time my friend Zach got to ride in the Zagato, was also, unfortunately, his last. His spirit will forever reside in the passenger seat however. :cool:

Guess I forgot to mention that the Ranger pickup that does duty as my daily driver is fondly referred to as "the Quadri-Ford-lio".

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
It depends on how my car are treating me...
Lately, they've been "the little darlings".
Sometimes they become "Italian pieces of s**t".
Individual cars can change identities instantly.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,041 Posts
Where's Pinyo????

And before there were two, the Spider was "the Alfa".

Looking for "Bianca" now . . .

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Our first race car, a 1969 GTj, was "The Rocket". As a stock 1300 it was anything but! The next, a 1975 Alfetta GT, was "Fang". My daughter has named my current 911 "Stan", lordy knows why, and my wife's BMW X3 is "Daisy".

Names for cars we enjoy owning are good. They personify them and make them more than just transport.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Nicknames for Your Cars

Gordy,

I was told I was high-maintenance once; Pat must have disagreed with your female nickname persona considering he named the 81 spider Eddie. Granted we did buy out the mechanics lien on the spider owned by a female that kept running up bills in San Francisco on it.

A few of our others:

'73 Berlina -- Paint car because it had been painted; actually Lee named it
'69 Berlina -- Marie's car (Pat's dead wife)
'78 Alfetta sedan -- Dad's car
'79 Alfetta sedan -- Mom's car
'?? Alfetta sedan -- Kay's car

there were three BMWs with the same designations as the sedans above; still have mine and Kay's. Many of the others were simply referred to as their linage or who had owned them previously, so we knew which of the duplicate cars were being referred to.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Two previous owners of my car (also the amazing restorer of my car) passed along a nickname that has stuck with the car ever since..."Alfonzo Di Credenza". Fitting indeed as the car spent the better part of two years in boxes on top of his dining room credenza.

On the way to take my son (age 4) to school today I told him how, when I was his age, I named my parent's green Renault "Cucumber" and then their yellow 1976 Honda Civic station wagon "Banana". I asked him if he wanted to give our Alfa a nickname and he said "Tomato!". I thought that was quite fitting for a red Italian sports car :).

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
We have the following:
"The 164"
"The Potenziata", (sometimes "The black Potenziata", to differentiate it from the burnt out grey one)
"The Volvo", for the Volvo 480 Turbo
"Flee's GTV" for my daughter, Felicity's, 1981 GTV, although she has an Italian name for it that I forget at the moment. She talks to it in Italian all the time.
"The red 75" for the 1988 3 litre.

Pretty boring names I know, but I am trying to think of a better one for my black Potenziata.

My old 1956 drag Beetle was, and still is, called "Big Bertha" after the big WW2 German gun. It, (the car), was named by my mother. My younger brother owns it now and has it stored in his shed for future restoration to race condition.

·
Premium Member
27,323 Posts
Forgot a couple:
Jamie was our 96 GC Jeep named by wife or daughter and why I do not know.
Scarlett is wife's new 09 Chevy Bu, that replaced Jamie, and is a burgundy color.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well, strangely, I have only named a couple of my many Alfas over the years,,,

Then again, I probably forgot a few,

My two Favorite GTV6's, out of Many, are the Blue Meanie,, and Blackie,,,,

The Blue Meanie is of course the Ex-Greg Gordan GTV6, bought by me after its long interesting life as his Super Charger development car, raced by me at the 2009 Alfa Convention, then driven home to Maine,,, with straight pipes,,, driven to and raced at Summit Point 2010 Alfa Convention, making only a few laps till the NEW tensioner broke,, towed home, fixed, and driven 30K miles since,, And still my fave daily driver,,,

Blackie,,,
Well,

I bought it off the back of a wrecker on its way to the crusher,, It had been owned by a guy who loved it, put a lot into it, and he passed,, it was gonna be crushed,,,
I bought it, put it on the road,, and proceeded to put 150K miles on it, with MANY Alfa Adventures occurring, believe me !!! It is slated for some Cool Mods and a 164S engine this Spring,, Stay Tuned !!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Mine is called slick, short for oil slick. She must of had 7 places where she was leaking oil. After three years I've got only one last one to fix.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Mine is called slick, short for oil slick. She must of had 7 places where she was leaking oil. After three years I've got only one last one to fix.
That's good!!

Cheryl - your comment reminded me that when cars get sold within the club they're often referred to by their previous owners name. So Rob sells his car to Frank, the car is referred to as "Rob's car". Frank then sells it to George and it becomes "Frank's car" and so on. Is it the same in the US I wonder or just a local thing.

Alister

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I bought this 94 BMW 740iL as a backup car, as Kyle the Jeep slayer can't drive a stick. A Beemer afficianado friend of mine looked it over and asked "Who's been driving it? The Dukes of Hazzard?" Thus its name: The General Rommel.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts