Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
WOW! Talk about a "cost is no object" restoration!

Still, they cut a few corners on the engine. Rusted cam cover nuts and heater bung nut seem out of place on a car in this price range. Mounting the carburetors on a Spica manifold with adapt-o-plates seems chintzy; the factory carb manifold & linkage work a lot better. I would have sprung for Webers rather than Dellortos. Enrichment device cable, fuel lines, plug wires not well detailed (oops - the concours judge in me is coming out!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quite a few odd things about that car, 1750 front with 2000 rear lights? Side-lights/indicators underneath the bumper? As well as the strange choices mentioned above.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For the sake of valuing my own car I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this thing sell for that kind of money. Definitely a number of odd choices used in this restoration. I feel like joining in on the game, so aside from the obvious non-original choices (headliner, door panels, etc.) a couple ones I spotted were dash cap, hazard switch where the rear defogger switch belongs, no chrome trim around the center console veneer, lack of horizontal bars on the front grille.

It is funny to me that they would do away with the badges on the trunk but not the side-markers as well.

It was mentioned above, but I think the turn signals under the bumper are actually correct for this car aren't they?

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
...aside from the obvious non-original choices (headliner, door panels, etc.) a couple ones I spotted were dash cap, hazard switch where the rear defogger switch belongs, no chrome trim around the center console veneer, lack of horizontal bars on the front grille.
I guess one way to think about this car is that it isn't "restored" - the builder never attempted to bring it back to the configuration it was in the day it left the factory. And that alone is not a reason it shouldn't sell for $59K. Personally, I'm good with mildly customized cars; it isn't as if this car had metaflake paint, 21" wheels, or a small block conversion.

My only issue is the quality of the underhood work (well, and that Pep Boys steering wheel).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Porsche bubble floats all boats? When rusty crusty early 911 p cars bring 60,000, and still need a full resto, check it out, one on bring a trailer right now, people and greedy dealers and speculators start to look at alternatives, tah da ,the gtv price climb begins.

·
Premium Member
5,541 Posts
Quite a few odd things about that car, 1750 front with 2000 rear lights? ...
That is what makes the '71 unique. I'm surprised they aren't more appreciated considering it represents the transition from the 1750 to the 2000 and is the lowest volume of the GTV styles. Lots of other interesting details.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Not here in Oz, the '71 had the same tail lights as previous 1750 and earlier GTVs, while the grill and bumpers are the same as we received. 2Ls here had the 6 bar alloy grill and long tail lights. These came out in '72. Its a US thing this transition stage model.

This car, has a range of issues that I don't like, eg steering wheel, headlining, rubbish dash cover and a few of the wrong/missing details. I definitely would have removed those aweful US side indicators but left the badges/script work as per original.

But the leather interior oh yes please. For me, that looks fantastic.

As for price rises, definitely the GTV is on the up. As Wazza noted that red 2L is superb, I saw it in the metal, as I know its previous owner. There have been quite a number of GTVs out here with prices ranging from the high $20s to mid $50K mark over the past few years. Currently there is a silver 1750 GTV with an asking price of over $40K.

And I sold my S1 1750 GTV last year for $6.5 :( but it did need restoring and I couldn't afford to do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeah, I checked out the silver one for $40k. definitely a better buy than the one in the states for $US59k, even if it is a Series II.

1970 Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia

I think you ripped yourself off selling that solid looking S1 1750 for $6.5k. Have a look at this heap for sale now at the same price.

1970 Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce Cars For Sale in QLD - CarPoint Australia

Cheers,
Wazza.
I agree Wazza re the silver one, it does look really nice. Sadly, I know what you mean re my old GTV, at the time I thought it ok but since then prices do seem to be moving. That red heap is sure a rough car for the money. I traded my GTV for a Giulia Ti so I was ok about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Thanks Wazza, it does, but truthfully the photos do flatter it somewhat. I have seen the Super you noted, and yes interesting. I suspect the owner spent money perhaps not where he should have.

Its ok re the price for mine. Originally it was listed for $11K or thereabouts, but I simply swapped my GTV for the Ti. And yes it is was a 1300 Ti but has a lot of Super parts on it (trim, 1600 engine etc).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks Wazza, it does, but truthfully the photos do flatter it somewhat. I have seen the Super you noted, and yes interesting. I suspect the owner spent money perhaps not where he should have.

Its ok re the price for mine. Originally it was listed for $11K or thereabouts, but I simply swapped my GTV for the Ti. And yes it is was a 1300 Ti but has a lot of Super parts on it (trim, 1600 engine etc).
In that case I think you came out on top with the car swap.

Re the other Guilia - yes I agree that giving your car to a mechanic and telling him to 'go for it' to the tune of 40 grand is not the recommended approach, especially when the end result doesn't include new paint. If you then need to spend another $8 -10k on that, then you're looking at a pretty expensive Guilia sedan.

Wazza.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Cheers I am happy with the outcome for myself.

I certainly can't see myself ever being in the position of being able to afford a $40K plus GTV !!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Correct.

The original headliner is a vinyl material with the 'snakebite' pattern.

The worst thing about this car is that god awful steering wheel, but at least that's an easy fix.

Cheers,
Wazza.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts