Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Last night on "What's My Car Worth" one sold at auction for $140k.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
That was the Amelia Island Gooding auction from early this year and was a record setter for the SS.

Not sure if the one in SB is a 1300 or 1600.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The vent windows on this car are especially rare... I've only seen one other Giulietta with this feature. Might've been a factory option?

·
Super Moderator
11,366 Posts
Looks like it was converted to disc brakes.
Because of the underhood booster?

Wow, those vent windows are an unusual feature. The knobs that control them don't look 1961 to me - look like they came off a mid 70's spider. But of course, who can say what vent window knobs are proper on a Giulietta SS?

I have never been a big fan of the Sprint Speciale, but have to admit that this is a pretty car! Even the add-on driving lights look good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
To me the SS looks absolutely beautiful from some angles (like the photo above) but awkward from other angles (side profile - wheelbase looks too short... or something).

Has anyone here driven a good one (alfagtv74)? What is it like? Seems like it would have quite a bit of body roll in stock condition. To my knowledge, the SS never had a successful racing history.

Also, what would it take for the windshield wipers to park correctly? Is it just a simple adjustment of the arm? I'm surprised the seller hasn't corrected that.

I think I'd probably like to own one someday :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To me the SS looks absolutely beautiful from some angles (like the photo above) but awkward from other angles (side profile - wheelbase looks too short... or something).

Has anyone here driven a good one (alfagtv74)? What is it like? Seems like it would have quite a bit of body roll in stock condition. To my knowledge, the SS never had a successful racing history.

Also, what would it take for the windshield wipers to park correctly? Is it just a simple adjustment of the arm? I'm surprised the seller hasn't corrected that.

I think I'd probably like to own one someday :)
In answer to how the SS drives, I took mine on the Motherlode rally last year which is a 1000 mile tour of the gold country in northern california. There were some amazing twisty roads that all the entrants seem to drive very spiritedly through (to say the least).
You're right the SS does have significant body roll in stock spring form, but once you set-up the bend and the car "settles in" it handles very well and corners fluidly with good grip and balance. It has that "mechanical" feel of the 60's alfas that seems to have disappeared by the 69 gtv. It also makes an effective gt cruiser, the main thing is driver fit, if one is too much over 6 feet tall
I race a 63 guilia spider, and my contemporary nemesis racer Ross races a white 63 guilia ss.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Im a year too late, i was trying to sell my Giulietta veloce to buy one of these. I may be young but i have a second nature figuring out which car is going to be the next "big one". Thats why i have a stepnose gt ;)

pk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Wow! Finished at $85K (no reserve)... I say, "Well bought!!!"

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow! Finished at $85K (no reserve)... I say, "Well bought!!!"

I don't think so !! if you looked at bid history it went from a couple grand then up to 85k big gap A phony fishing bid to get price up faster!

Well now its back again !

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought the bid history looked suspicious also. I had asked the seller to email me a copy of the title which he agreed to do and then never sent it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I contacted the seller about the first auction and this is his reply...

"He did not contact as after winning the auction. We will take $85,000 to end the auction early. Thank you."

Kind Regards,
Barrett Reed
805-886-1823

Personally, I think $85K is a very good price for this car (assuming it passes a PPI). ****... I'm really tempted!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I don't know and I have not seen this car in person (Though know of it's recent sales and sales effort history) but it does not look like a $85k car to me ...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ss

Hallo,
has seen many Giuliettas , but this is the first with brake booster!! Must have disk brakes, so drums with boosters is a no go. And 85 .ooo Dollar? for a car , that look like a boat is really interesting! yes, for a first series "low nose" , its reasonable, but not for this car.
The second series with the higher front ,modificated for the US market, isnt really a nice car. My former car was changed to SZ, for less money as the ss restauration would cost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts